Bedell Homeschool Curriculum

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Kat
User

Bedell Homeschool Curriculum

Postby Kat » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:48 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:35 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Kat
User

Postby Kat » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:42 am

You asked for opinions, I gave you one. I don't believe that such a curriculum shares the joy of God and the lessons of Christianity. It seems to have more of a pretense than an actual study of anything.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

Kat
User

Bedell Curriculum

Postby Kat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 am

I am not trying to sound rude here, but I initially asked if anyone had used this curriculum and how did it work for those that used it.
In this curriculum, one uses their own Bible, the KJV. How could a person not share in the joys of God and the lessons of Christianity by reading their own Bible and applying it to their life and obeying what it says? The curriculum is only a guide to studying the Bible. I do not put any man made curriculum above the King James Bible, although I may use one. Nothing is superior, no curriculum, no method of education, nothing.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 am

You didn't want opinions; I won't give you any more. But be forewarned that when you ask a question in PUBLIC, you will get various answers, especially when you put that all comments are appreciated.

I hope you teach your child the lessons of Christ you have displayed here.

- M. Montessori

Kat
User

Postby Kat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:16 am

I know very well I can get all kinds of responses; I know this is a PUBLIC forum. That is why I specifically asked, "Has anyone used the Bedell Curriculum?"
I am teaching my children the lessons of Christ, actually the whole Bible, and I plan on continuing to do so for as long as I live. Were you implying that I am not or that the Bedell Curriculum does not?

diamondsintherough
User

Postby diamondsintherough » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Kat,
I stumbled across this thread while looking for reviews of Bedell. Today I received Volume 1 for my K/1st grader and 5th grader. I have not used Bedell yet, but I was made a convert by my good blogging friend, PlainJane. She has posted about it several times, and she is gracious to answer emails (see her profile). While Lily may be right about the lesson questions being weak on critical thinking, the fact that this is cuddle-up, do-together, learn-together curriculum has me sold -- that and the fact that it is pure Bible. We have plenty of other opportunities for critical thinking, in fact we can ask our own questions of that sort as we go along in the Bedell book. We can also supplement with library books and activities as they come up. PlainJane and I have similar education goals: to teach our children to love God and the Bible, and to recognize his working in the world around us. I want GOD to be their God, not education. :D I am not sure that we will follow the recommended schedule, but I know that however we do it, I am going to have much happier little children (and wiser, too), than I have had from assigning good thinking questions and fighting them all day on how to write out their answers. There's a time for that, but mine aren't ready yet. It was killing their interest in learning. I wish we had started with this years ago with my older children! So. There's advice from yet another person who has not USED Bedell. Get a hold of Jane. :)
Sally Johnson

Caroline4kids
User

Postby Caroline4kids » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:21 pm

I have used Bedell for 6 years and am a Montessori-trained teacher. I LOVE it. It is very simple, but it creates a very detailed map to follow and is easy to enhance however you wish. This curriculum keeps all my kids on one page and then I have my older children go off and find the answers to the intermediate and advanced questions using World Book or Google. They find the answers and then "report" back during our family devotion time--which really enhances our study. The younger children draw pictures or narrate what they have learned.
Caroline J.
Homeschooling mom to four and photography student

homeschoolmom101
User

Postby homeschoolmom101 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi, just thought i'd write that I have heard this curriculm is cool, so i thought i would check it out...I'm excited to find something that is so bible based! that's what christian homeschooling is all about!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”