Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bedell Homeschool Curriculum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kat
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Bedell Homeschool Curriculum Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Bedell Homeschool Curriculum?
Did it work for you and how would you rate it?
I found the Bedell website and it looks very Scripture based, which is good for me. Any comments would be appreciated!
Lily
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of it, but I went to look up their website.

It doesn't look good at all, imo. The sample lesson seems to be very watered down and doesn't expect any sort of understanding other than finding the answers in the text. There's also a lack of activity for the child; no projects listed, no movement...nothing but the questions. I think this curriculum would be a very good way to turn a child off of Christianity and the bible due to its lack of teaching and understanding of child development.
Kat
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bedell Curriculum is centered on the King James Bible. How could studying the Bible and applying it to one's life & teaching my children TRUTH turn them off to Christianity? My main purpose in teaching my children at home is to make sure their hearts are turned toward Jesus Christ and that they are truly saved. I am not interested in loading my children down with a bunch of "activities", although we do have fun together. A lot of children these days are so loaded down, they do not have time to be still before the Lord ("Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10).
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked for opinions, I gave you one. I don't believe that such a curriculum shares the joy of God and the lessons of Christianity. It seems to have more of a pretense than an actual study of anything.
Kat
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Bedell Curriculum Reply with quote

I am not trying to sound rude here, but I initially asked if anyone had used this curriculum and how did it work for those that used it.
In this curriculum, one uses their own Bible, the KJV. How could a person not share in the joys of God and the lessons of Christianity by reading their own Bible and applying it to their life and obeying what it says? The curriculum is only a guide to studying the Bible. I do not put any man made curriculum above the King James Bible, although I may use one. Nothing is superior, no curriculum, no method of education, nothing.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't want opinions; I won't give you any more. But be forewarned that when you ask a question in PUBLIC, you will get various answers, especially when you put that all comments are appreciated.

I hope you teach your child the lessons of Christ you have displayed here.
Kat
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know very well I can get all kinds of responses; I know this is a PUBLIC forum. That is why I specifically asked, "Has anyone used the Bedell Curriculum?"
I am teaching my children the lessons of Christ, actually the whole Bible, and I plan on continuing to do so for as long as I live. Were you implying that I am not or that the Bedell Curriculum does not?
diamondsintherough
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kat,
I stumbled across this thread while looking for reviews of Bedell. Today I received Volume 1 for my K/1st grader and 5th grader. I have not used Bedell yet, but I was made a convert by my good blogging friend, PlainJane. She has posted about it several times, and she is gracious to answer emails (see her profile). While Lily may be right about the lesson questions being weak on critical thinking, the fact that this is cuddle-up, do-together, learn-together curriculum has me sold -- that and the fact that it is pure Bible. We have plenty of other opportunities for critical thinking, in fact we can ask our own questions of that sort as we go along in the Bedell book. We can also supplement with library books and activities as they come up. PlainJane and I have similar education goals: to teach our children to love God and the Bible, and to recognize his working in the world around us. I want GOD to be their God, not education. Very Happy I am not sure that we will follow the recommended schedule, but I know that however we do it, I am going to have much happier little children (and wiser, too), than I have had from assigning good thinking questions and fighting them all day on how to write out their answers. There's a time for that, but mine aren't ready yet. It was killing their interest in learning. I wish we had started with this years ago with my older children! So. There's advice from yet another person who has not USED Bedell. Get a hold of Jane. Smile
Sally Johnson
Caroline4kids
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Bedell for 6 years and am a Montessori-trained teacher. I LOVE it. It is very simple, but it creates a very detailed map to follow and is easy to enhance however you wish. This curriculum keeps all my kids on one page and then I have my older children go off and find the answers to the intermediate and advanced questions using World Book or Google. They find the answers and then "report" back during our family devotion time--which really enhances our study. The younger children draw pictures or narrate what they have learned.
homeschoolmom101
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just thought i'd write that I have heard this curriculm is cool, so i thought i would check it out...I'm excited to find something that is so bible based! that's what christian homeschooling is all about!
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interests of full disclosure, some of the people replying have only posted here once and are posting on multiple forums about Bedell. So keep that in mind when reading the thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: