Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hardest/easiest states
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Indiana Homeschool law Reply with quote

JerbysMom wrote:
I have to say Indiana has the easiest homeschool laws. All you do is let the DOE know that you're homeschooling by filling out an online form (name, address, phone number, that's IT). They assign you a number, and designate you as a "private school". You're supposed to keep track of attendance (180 days) just in case the state or local superintentdent asks for it, which probably won't happen. Other than that you're completely on your own. Homeschool kids are actually FORBIDDEN from taking state standardized tests.

According to HSLDA, filling out that form is "not required by state law and [is] entirely voluntary."

If I were in Indiana, I wouldn't do the form, but that's just me. Laughing
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on that... fulfill the law and that's it.
JerbysMom
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4given wrote:
Did you inform the DOE as a courtesy? I'm in Indiana and I haven't seen anything that requires that.

Well, I'm totally new to hsing so the first thing I did was check the DOE website. It said I had to fill out the form, so I did. Is this something I can not do? It didn't seem like an unreasonable request so I did it.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerbysMom wrote:
4given wrote:
Did you inform the DOE as a courtesy? I'm in Indiana and I haven't seen anything that requires that.

Well, I'm totally new to hsing so the first thing I did was check the DOE website. It said I had to fill out the form, so I did. Is this something I can not do? It didn't seem like an unreasonable request so I did it.

It isn't an unreasonable request *unless* the law doesn't *require* you to do so.

Here's what I found on the Indiana DOE site:

Quote:
Parents who choose to home educate are required to report their homeschool's enrollment to the Indiana Department of Education upon request of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (IC 20-33-2-21). Dr. Bennett requests that, if you decide to home educate, you report your enrollment via the online enrollment report form

It is worded awkwardly--I'm thinking it was done that way on purpose, but I could be wrong; notice the phrase that I bolded: "upon request of the state superintendent of public instruction." This means that you DO NOT have to report enrollment UNLESS you are specifically requested to do so. This is HSLDA's analysis of IN law.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
JerbysMom
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well those tricky little buggers! Oh well, they got me. I do at least know that no one but the superintendent can ask for enrollment info. I'll have to read between the lines a little more I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: