hardest/easiest states

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

elliemaejune
User

Re: Indiana Homeschool law

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:58 pm

JerbysMom wrote:I have to say Indiana has the easiest homeschool laws. All you do is let the DOE know that you're homeschooling by filling out an online form (name, address, phone number, that's IT). They assign you a number, and designate you as a "private school". You're supposed to keep track of attendance (180 days) just in case the state or local superintentdent asks for it, which probably won't happen. Other than that you're completely on your own. Homeschool kids are actually FORBIDDEN from taking state standardized tests.

According to HSLDA, filling out that form is "not required by state law and [is] entirely voluntary."

If I were in Indiana, I wouldn't do the form, but that's just me. :lol:
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

4given
User

Postby 4given » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:01 am

I'm with you on that... fulfill the law and that's it.

JerbysMom
User

Postby JerbysMom » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:59 pm

4given wrote:Did you inform the DOE as a courtesy? I'm in Indiana and I haven't seen anything that requires that.

Well, I'm totally new to hsing so the first thing I did was check the DOE website. It said I had to fill out the form, so I did. Is this something I can not do? It didn't seem like an unreasonable request so I did it.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 pm

JerbysMom wrote:
4given wrote:Did you inform the DOE as a courtesy? I'm in Indiana and I haven't seen anything that requires that.

Well, I'm totally new to hsing so the first thing I did was check the DOE website. It said I had to fill out the form, so I did. Is this something I can not do? It didn't seem like an unreasonable request so I did it.

It isn't an unreasonable request *unless* the law doesn't *require* you to do so.

Here's what I found on the Indiana DOE site:

Parents who choose to home educate are required to report their homeschool's enrollment to the Indiana Department of Education upon request of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (IC 20-33-2-21). Dr. Bennett requests that, if you decide to home educate, you report your enrollment via the online enrollment report form

It is worded awkwardly--I'm thinking it was done that way on purpose, but I could be wrong; notice the phrase that I bolded: "upon request of the state superintendent of public instruction." This means that you DO NOT have to report enrollment UNLESS you are specifically requested to do so. This is HSLDA's analysis of IN law.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

JerbysMom
User

Postby JerbysMom » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Well those tricky little buggers! Oh well, they got me. I do at least know that no one but the superintendent can ask for enrollment info. I'll have to read between the lines a little more I guess.

Return to “Homeschool Law”