Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions Wanted for a Homeschooling Center

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionary
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Wanted for a Homeschooling Center Reply with quote

Hello~

I am opening a one-stop shop homeschooling resource center in Orange County, CA. My goal is to make the process easier to understand and navigate for parents and children, and to make homeschooling more accessible to lower-income families.

I would like to ask for your advice!

What would homeschooling parents want and need in a resource center?

I am in the process of obtaining brochures from private schools and curriculum companies, putting together and obtaining permission to use lists of tips and guidelines from websites, and contacting the local homeschool organizations to tap into their field trips and other extracurricular activities.

I would love to hear your ideas~ Thank you so much! Very Happy
Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Rented books Reply with quote

I homeschooled four kids. I bought a lot of stuff - but didn't always use it. I loaned out my stuff, and often never got it back. I would have DONATED it to a resource center! To a place that might rent materials at a fraction of their purchase price, but also keep records (I wasn't good at this) so the materials come back to be used again. And it would have saved me a ton of money. I mean, if I had a book or program I really liked, I would still have purchased it. Like the Saxon math books. I bought them all, knowing that all of the kids would use them. But it would have been great to "try before you buy" some of the more expensive programs and packages.

I'd like to see a video/CD library. Not for major release movies that you can get at blockbuster, but the educational type that are too expensive to buy, but probably better viewing. I bought a couple (again, loaned them out) on Creation Science, and natural wildlife, and on the planets and solar system. Our library didn't have many of these types of movies, either.

Homeschool games! Whether for sale or rent, games are always a great choice.

A place for meetings. Make your resource more than just a store. Offer homeschool groups a place to hold meetings - whether you sponsor them, or just collect a small rent - it would draw more people into your store. Like Hobby Lobby offering craft classes. You could offer "classes" and hire some one (an experienced homeschool mom) to come in and teach on a variety of topics.

A place for swaps - allow a bulletin board for homeschoolers to get in touch with each other. Maybe they will want to swap out-grown clothing, or babysitting services. Or organize their own Homeschool 4H club. Who knows?

Hope this helps.

Lorelei
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: