Pulling kids out of public school to homeschool

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Conservativemama
User

Pulling kids out of public school to homeschool

Postby Conservativemama » Wed May 20, 2009 6:10 am

I am extremely new to this. I am just getting started on researching homeschooling. My daughter will be starting 3rd Grade next year, and my son is starting Kindergarten. There have been no problems with our school - I am thinking about the future. I am deeply concerned that pulling my daughter out of school will be traumatic for her. She is doing great, but at times has stated she would love to be homeschooled. (I have a friend who homeschools and does a SPECTACULAR job.) Does anyone out there have any advice on pulling a child out of public school to homeschool or do you know of any websites that might help me with this decision?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed May 20, 2009 7:53 am

In my state, homeschools are considered private schools. I sent a letter to the PS, requesting a copy of my sons' school records and stating that they would not be returning as they would be enrolled in private school. They did not inquire further and I did not offer up any greater detail.

What you do will depend upon the laws in your state.

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Fri May 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi

I am not sure what state you are in but you can check out your state's laws on the HSLDA site http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Personally I do not think pulling a child out of ps to homeschool is necessarily traumatic, and adjustment yes but not traumatic. Kids are resillent and just need to get used to the new routine. If she is saying she is interested I think the transition will be even easier. We pulled sd out mid 9th grade and then next year dd will be homeschooled too (this year she went to ps k) Dd wants to go to ps (because 1st graders eat in the cafeteria, and her friends will be going) but she also knows that we will be able to do more fun things than the kids in school. We will be part of a homeschool group and go on lots of field trips. Once she gets into the routine she will love it I am sure.

Do you have any particular questions about homeschooling (ask anything someone will have an answer for you)? I am not sure what type of website you are interested in. There are various discussion boards out there (including this one). Is there a local homeschool group you can get in touch with or maybe a local convention where you could go and get some information.

Hope some of this helped. :)

Ophelia
User

Re: Pulling kids out of public school to homeschool

Postby Ophelia » Fri May 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Sun May 24, 2009 7:06 am

Jill

kjsmom72803
User

Postby kjsmom72803 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:18 am

I pulled my DS ou of school about a month ago. He is not yet six so I did not have to do anything other than notify the school that I would be homeschooling him.

As for the transition... My son could not be happier! He liked being in school with his friends but did not like the actual "school" part of being there. As long as you make efforts to see some of her cose friends in the class I am sure there will be an easy transition.

My son is now doing 1st grad school work, he is only 5! He was bored out of his mind in class at the school which was why he hated the actual class work. Hope this helps you! I am sure that if ou make the decision to homeschool that he will love it! Noone can teach your child as well as you!

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Sat May 30, 2009 12:59 am

Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

homeschoolnewbie
User

Postby homeschoolnewbie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 pm

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:15 am

Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

ncmom