1st grade curric quest....

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bubbaansissy
User

1st grade curric quest....

Postby bubbaansissy » Sun May 24, 2009 6:23 pm

My ds, age 6, will soon be in gr 1 & I need some advice. Here is what we've chosen to do. Is this enough, or am I forgetting a subject that he needs. Please advise, I want to make sure I have all of our basics covered. Thanks.

Science: Apologia - Swimming Creatures of the 5th Day
History/Geog: Story of the World
Language: Learning Language Arts Through Literature & Learning to Spell Through Copywork
Math: Still Undecided
Bible: Still Undecided
Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things....

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Mon May 25, 2009 7:52 am

It depends on the state you are in. I might suggest doing a seperate handwritting curriculum. Depending on the state you might need to do something for health, art or music but those may not need a full curriculum for.

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Mon May 25, 2009 10:22 am

We are in Mississippi. The laws here aren't strict, thankfully, at all, in regards to homeschooling. My son does take private piano lessons. As far as art goes, he's very artistic & draws stuff, on his own, almost on a daily basis. Of course, I keep all of his masterpieces :o)

Do we really need a curriculum on health, though? I mean, I teach him everyday living stuff. He's learned about taking showers, keeping his hands clean, etc. I just don't think we need a curriculum on health @ this stage of the game. Am I wrong?

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Mon May 25, 2009 11:03 am

It depends on the state and you usually do not need a bonafide curriculum just a plan (topics you will cover). Everything you have sounds pretty good. I wish I could do piano for dd but she just will not sit for them at the moment. Maybe in a year or so.

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Mon May 25, 2009 11:47 am

For math check out Singapore Math or Christian Light Publications both use the American measurement system and metric system equally.

I really like Christian Light Publications for Bible
Rod and Staff also is good.

This is the first year we are using Christian Light. in past years, I used the internet and a Bible story book and Scriptures for our Bible time.

There are lots of Free Bible coloring pictures online. My kids used to color pictures while I read from a Bible Story book.

This year, they wanted something more than just a story and picture, so we began a new semester with Christian Light. So far they love the light units.
Sharon

Lorelei Sieja
User

First Grade Study

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:00 pm

You don't list a REading program. In the primary grades, the MOST IMPORTANT subjects are reading and math. If you cover those, and little else, you can feel that you've accomplished the basics. If a child reads well, then he can learn anything in the world. If he can't do basic math, he'll be handicapped once he leaves the nest. <G>

There are two different ideas on what the "three Rs" include. Traditionally, schools have felt that means: reading, writing, and 'rithmetic , of which only one actually begins with an "r".

I'd say, the REAL three r's are: Respectfulness, Resourcefulness, and Responsibility. I think the homeschooled children I've met have had these three r's down great!

One more thing I'd like to mention. It doesn't really matter if you cover "X" in first grade, and "Y" in second grade, and "Z" in third grade. What matters is that you cover X, Y, Z sometimes before your child graduates from high school. When you look at it that way, you give yourself a little more breathing room, and reduce the stress in your life.

Good luck!

Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:05 am

I have, since first posting here, finally decided on Singapore Math for my ds. I have also purchased a wonderful bible story book w/ 2 accompanying cd w/ the songs that coordinate w/ the bible stories. That will be fun.

Thanks, Lorelie, for mentioning about the reading. That is a good point for others that might read these posts. However, our language arts program, does include reading books. Plus, we read daily anyway. We're, right now, over the summer involved in our library's summer reading program.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

RShaw27
User

Postby RShaw27 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:29 pm

HI!

I have a 1st grader...we use A Beka

Daily we have Math, Writing, Reading and Phonics, spelling & language...we also do Community helpers when we can...This year we also have health and science. Yes we went over board and got the full kits for all three kids...being our 1st year I needed all the help I could get:P
Rebecca, SAHM to 3

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”