New technologies benefit the homeschooling model

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

berrtus
User

New technologies benefit the homeschooling model

Postby berrtus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:46 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:08 am

berrtus
User

Public School Vastly Inefficient

Postby berrtus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:53 am

It's been a while but feel like continuing this. I think it is true that many may not follow the internet model even were it properly developed. And It has a ways to go the be fully developed. I think it's not going to just be private instructors with white boards. It's going to be wikipedia like collections of lessons. Then with private instructors as coaches assisting students and developing individualized plans. The public system is vastly inefficient compared to this model.

As a teacher I have 'issues' with the public system that herds kids from class to class. In actuality there is almost ZERO differentiation (individualized learning that meets the student at their level.) Further I believe the process is beginning to favor over socialization. Individuals that operate on only a social level are operating at the lowest human level Dogs are social. We are above animals because we are rational beings that care. Socialization DOES NOT develop these qualities except in a sociopathic fashion. Smaller groups of students following Wiki like lesson plans is more suitable for proper functional happy human development.

The left won't accept it because:
1. They want to be in charge. It's about money.
2. I would lead to unequal outcomes

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:20 pm

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:36 am

Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

vmsgirl71
User

Postby vmsgirl71 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:54 am

Barbie
"momma" to Brandon; 14 and two pups, Bugsy 6 and Milo 4 mos!

berrtus
User

Postby berrtus » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri May 01, 2009 7:29 pm

To be fair, not all teachers are leftists, and I think you'll find that both sides of the aisle are a bit leery of cutting funds for education, it just sounds bad on paper. Not good if you're a politician trying to get elected.

However, history has shown that one of the most productive ways to spread propaganda is to start with young kids, especially if you can do it in an environment that crushes independent thinking. Better be part of the group think or your school experience will be pretty miserable...

judyh
User

Harnessing technologies for learning, if only parents know

Postby judyh » Sat May 02, 2009 10:50 am

Though in essence, i do agree that with the advancement of technologies that supports individual learning, we must also bear in mind that not all parents or even teachers are that savvy enough. The overload of "free' information could be more of a disadvantage as homeschool parents can sometime lack judgment in deciding whats best for their kids. I am all for homeschooling but to totally discredit public school system, that would be unfair too. Both public and homeschool do have its place in education.
It all boils down to what parents want. For me, the number 1 reason would to impart religious values, which otherwise, may be "unguided" if left to the public school.
judy

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

Matt Conrad
User

Postby Matt Conrad » Sat May 02, 2009 1:56 pm

> An entirely new individualized approach to education is emerging.

Yes, and it is exciting. It is so easy to learn about nearly anything you are interested in these days. New options like MIT's OpenCourseWare are transforming education from the inside out.

Really, so many free and cheap tools for learning are available, I would say now that the limiting factor to learning almost-anything is the amount of effort you're willing to put forth. Now if someone could just figure out a way for me to easily increase my own effort level . . .
www.HomeSchoolDayBook.com -- software for easy homeschool record keeping and time tracking

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”