When husband isn't on board - sorry, long

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

hsmommyx3
User

When husband isn't on board - sorry, long

Postby hsmommyx3 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:05 am

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:52 pm

amazeandgrace
User

Postby amazeandgrace » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:01 pm

Lorelei Sieja
User

Are you still struggling with this issue?

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm new to the board, but see that this post is older, so don't know if I should post or not. Let me know if you are still struggling with this issue, as my husband was also not in favor at first. Later he became a strong supporter and even helped teach some of the upper level classes.
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

hsmommyx3
User

Postby hsmommyx3 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:20 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:40 am

Lorelei Sieja
User

Reluctant husband

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:53 pm

My husband was very reluctant to let me homeschool our children. He LOVED school, I hated it. He was the all-star athlete and prom king. I dropped out of high school when I was 16. I went to an alternative HS and graduated, and met my DH in college, but we still came from VERY different backgrounds.
THe turning point for my DH was when we met an actual family who was homeschooling and he saw that they weren't weird. :) He saw that real people did this, not just religious fanatics and cultists. He decided to let me try it for a year. Then he took a step back and gave me a year, without leaning over my shoulder or criticizing me. When he saw how great it was for our children and our family, he was "sold".

Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja

Lorelei Sieja
User

Middle School Not Good for Children

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:57 pm

There have been a number of national studies that claim that rotating classrooms is NOT good for middle school children. you know, going to one teacher for science, another for math, and yet another for English. This has become the standard, and so no one even thinks to question it. But middle school children do not have the confidence, maturity or wisdom to handle it. They NEED to have one teacher teaching all their subjects. They need to bond with someone, and have someone know them that well that they can't "get away" with anything. Even a teacher they don't like is better than a teacher who doesn't even know them.

The whole reason why kids rotate classrooms is to make it easier for the TEACHER. It means the teacher can write fewer lesson plans, grade fewer papers. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of education.

Hm... maybe sending a child to middle school might seem less important, if you take this approach?

Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja

Jazzy
User

Re: Reluctant husband

Postby Jazzy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 pm

wrightno
User

Hello

Postby wrightno » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm

:D
natasha w.

amazeandgrace
User

Postby amazeandgrace » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:36 pm

I think that getting things organized this summer and teaching them some is a great idea!
Still consider getting in touch with a local support group...even if you can't join or are unsure. Let a few of them know what's going on and I bet a few will be there to support you and have kids that your kids can play with other than their public schooled friends.
A weird thing happened to us when I joined a support group. My hubby came to a meeting with us and the group really needed a person like him to participate. He's now a big part of the group and talks to a lot of the members. This really changes his perspective and gives him good "thoughts" about homeschooling.
I would try to find a group that has people most like him, or as close as you can get!
TTYL

momsworld
User

Postby momsworld » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:15 am

Return to “Getting Started”