So when I graduate..

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:11 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:16 pm

Most of the stress comes with having your scores compared with those of your fellow students, however - and the ACT, SAT, CLEP tests, etc. don't have that problem, since all you get is a score and a national ranking. There are also plenty of materials for test prep, and being well-prepared always reduces stress.

In any case, college courses generally involve quite a bit of testing, so if tests stress you out, you need to practice taking them. Test-taking stress mostly stems from lack of self-confidence, and even a year or two of homeschooling gives you time to improve your education and build that self-confidence back.

On a personal note, I often felt I was going to do badly on a test, then I completed it in 2/3 the required time and scored 90% or better. A small case of nerves isn't necessarily fatal, so long as you studied hard.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:44 pm

I agree about working on test stress. That's been one of my goals with my son since we started home school at the end of his fourth grade year.

I had him take a standardized prep test every Friday when we first started out. I did that so he would get over his fear of testing and find out he was capable.

Years ago I started having both my kids do the SAT question of the day each day instead.

These days they are both pretty confident test takers. He still hates tests but he knows he can do well on them. His is quite proud of himself. He feels he has the whole world to pick from for his future. That, is a beautiful thing IMO.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:08 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:52 am

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Excuse me, but that remark is condescending.

There are many alternative ways to get a post-12th-grade education. Check out the articles in the archives. There are places that will take an application from anyone over 21 and figure out whether what they've done in their life qualifies them for a degree. There are places that allow students to do absolutely everything by correspondence or online, including taking tests at your own pace with a very long deadline or time limit so that if you get anxious (which, BTW, is a physiological condition, not just worrying) you can stop and come back to it after you recover. There are places that "test" by oral interview or portfolio or project or thesis.

And that's only dealing with ways of getting a college degree. There is far more to getting a good education than merely obtaining a degree. Self-taught students and well-read students and apprentices and interns often go far beyond the education that a mere degree indicates.

There is a false belief in our culture that college is the repository of all knowledge and a degree is the be-all and end-all of education. The truth is that getting well-educated requires far more than degrees cover.

Ramona

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:32 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:06 pm

A good education is more important than being marketable, but there's no reason why the two should be mutually exclusive. There may be an overemphasis on college degrees these days, but this is the world we live in.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:33 pm

raptorguy85
User

Re: So when I graduate..

Postby raptorguy85 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm

Create your homeschool high school transcript for FREE and in about 30 minutes, go to http://www.30minutetranscripts.com.

twistedmaples
User

Union College in NY...

Postby twistedmaples » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:16 am

...doesn't require either and they are a 4 year college.

I know there is a growing number (and they even have an acronym which escapes me right now) that do NOT require SAT scores but some of those still do ask for ACT scores.

Beth L

Return to “High School / College Prep”