NY state - graduation from high school

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

twistedmaples
User

NY state - graduation from high school

Postby twistedmaples » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi! We pulled our girls (11 & 13) out of public school this past summer and started homeschooling last fall. We really want to continue and daughter #1 will technically be in HS next year.

Can she "graduate" from HS if she is home-schooled? How? When can she do this?

She is planning on college. What about a diploma, class ranking, etc? Do colleges still care about that stuff?

In NY, can she take courses at a community college that will be both HS and college credit? (I know she could if she were in public school.)

Has anyone in NY had recent experience with homeschooling through HS and getting into college? Please let me know what you did.

Thanks TONS!
Beth L

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:02 pm

1) Yes, she can "graduate" by fulfilling the high school graduation requirements for your state (such and such amount of math, science, etc.), or by taking the GED. Of the two options, the former will probably be more respected, esp if you have her take at least some CLEP / AP / community college courses.

2) A diploma is just a piece of paper saying you graduated. You can issue your own if you want, but it doesn't really figure into the equation - see above. Class ranking also won't be applicable, GPA you can calculate based on an aggregate of how well she does in her CLEP / AP / community college and how well you think she did in anything not covered by that. Colleges are pretty accepting of homeschoolers, they'll understand.

3) Community college courses are community college courses. If they're high school / college credit, that won't change just because you're also homeschooling.

twistedmaples
User

Thank you!

Postby twistedmaples » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:17 am

I'm feeling way more comfortable now. I guess we really can do this!

Thanks very much!
Beth L

Return to “Homeschool Law”