Homeschooling in America

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Do you plan on homeschooling through the college years?

yes
25%
no
75%

Total votes: 8

homeschoollearningcenter
User

Homeschooling in America

Postby homeschoollearningcenter » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:30 am

Hello,

Thought it would be a nice idea to have a board to list the reasons WHY we homeschool. Feel free to comment and maybe elaborate further.

Myself a main reason I homeschool 3 kids, although sometimes I queston why, lol, is the freedom. The freedom to follow our own schedule and desires to build and create an incredible life. I myself find that the main idea flow in general followed by mainstream does not allow one to grow individually and the mindset is to follow the crowd. And IMO, sometimes that crowd follows one thought and does so without thinking.. (i.e. current elections)

Take care and God Bless.
Follow the American Dream at
http://americandream2009.angelfire.com

The American Dream 2009 Blog at
http://americandream2009.blogspot.com

Complete Online Degree Information at
http://americandream2009.angelfire.com/o.html

rhi
User

Postby rhi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:01 pm

I actually started homeschooling because I don't like our local middle school, it's turned into something we just love and really took too. Now my dd who's in 8th grade that can go to the ps hs if she wants to doesn't. I'm fine with that. I love hmsing, it's turned our life upside down at times but for the better. My kids are thriving. And it's wonderful. I want to hs my youngest for Kindergarten but my dh wants him to go for at least that. We'll see.
~rhi~

ontheprairie
User

Postby ontheprairie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Lorelei Sieja
User

Why We homeschooled

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:14 pm

At first, we chose to pull our kids out of public school because they weren't learning. We had four kids - two in school, one ready for kindergarten and a baby. Our first was labeled "delayed" and tracked into remedial reading- although she was reading far above grade level at home. (She had poor spelling skills, not poor reading skills). My second was labeled "gifted" and sent to special enrichment classes that he hated. My third was labeled "emotionally disturbed" because she didn't want to cooperate with the school nurse during the hectic preschool screening day. We figured PS was messing up our kids pretty awful, we couldn't possibly do worse!

But later, we chose to stay with HS because it is a great way to build family. My kids became best friends for each other. They bonded. They learned to be considerate and kind. They learned to think about others. They learned so much that they couldn't learn in PS. All of my kids plan to HS their own children, when the time comes.
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Return to “Suggest a Topic”