Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

starting a new kind of homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpmaddox
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: starting a new kind of homeschool Reply with quote

I run a homeschool covering through my church. We have operated as a covering for 3 years now, also offering fun days with 4 classes and 2 high-school electives. Next year, we want to expand to a 4-day a week school. The middle school and high school students will use Alpha Omega SOS curriculum that will be loaded into the schools computers. I am limiting the number of students to 20. My questions are: Will we still be covered under the umbrella "homeschool", and has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I am looking for any and all information I can get at this point. I am definitely over my head and swimming in the graces of God.
Thank you so much,
Tamara Maddox
Jennywrites
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you what we have here. I do think some will depend on your state laws concerning what is and isn't homeschooling. Here in Spokane we have Bryant School, which is a public school that offers classes taught by licensed teachers as well as parents and members of the community. They offer many classes from grade k-12. Parents who choose to allow there children to attend a class (or several) at Bryant do not lose their homeschool status and can pull their children from classes at any time. Here is the schools website if you would like to see what their model is like:
http://www.tecspokane.com/
tpmaddox
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

Thank you so much for that. I think it is WONDERFUL that you have schools that see the importance of working together instead of fighting over the children. I have since gotten more of the information I was looking for; but I am always interested in learning more, and hearing what else is out there that works!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: starting a new kind of homeschool Reply with quote

tpmaddox wrote:
I run a homeschool covering through my church. We have operated as a covering for 3 years now, also offering fun days with 4 classes and 2 high-school electives. Next year, we want to expand to a 4-day a week school. The middle school and high school students will use Alpha Omega SOS curriculum that will be loaded into the schools computers. I am limiting the number of students to 20. My questions are: Will we still be covered under the umbrella "homeschool", and has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I am looking for any and all information I can get at this point. I am definitely over my head and swimming in the graces of God.
Thank you so much,
Tamara Maddox

So, you will have students there 4 days a week? All subjects? With you as the teacher/facilitator? That doesn't sound anything like homeschooling to me. It doesn't sound *bad;* it just doesn't sound like homeschooling.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: