Looking for feedback on a dilemma...

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mama2cntrykids
User

Looking for feedback on a dilemma...

Postby mama2cntrykids » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:01 am

Would like feedback/input please...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here's the reader's digest version, lol. I homeschooled my oldest son last yr. in 1st grade. This year for 2nd I put him in public school. I also put his younger brother in every other day kindergarten this year.

Over the last few months, I've decided that I REALLY want to homeschool again next year (hopefully for long term this time). I ended up getting a job every week-end night/evening to suplement my dh's cut hours at work (we REALLY need the money or I wouldn't have).

So, fast-forward to last night. I had conferences with the boy's teacher's. Again, to condense the story, BOTH boys are doing WONDERFULLY!! They are both scoring extremely high on the test's and both are making friends. Esp. my oldest son, his teacher said he's made tons of friends this year. My youngest son is on an IEP but he's doing great and he's extemely close to hitting his goals. My oldest son went from the 39th percentile in math during the fall of the year to the 92nd percentile when they tested again at the end of Jan..

Now, you can probably see my conflict by now. They are doing so well in public school, that I'm apprehensive about pulling them next year. It's not that *I* don't want to HS them and it's not that *they* don't want to be HSed, because we ALL want it. It's that I'm afraid that if I HS them they won't do as well as they are acedemically. Is it crazy to think this?? Plus, my older ds is gaining alot of confidence this year. I'm not sure if it's because of maturity or because he has to be more independant in PS???

So, to lay it on the table, my two biggest concerns are:

1. Will they go "down" acedemically if I HS them next year? I feel like obviously I was doing something "wrong" with my older ds' math if he went from being in the 39th % in the fall to a 92% this Jan. Was I failing him??

2. My older ds' confidence level. Will he lack confidence next year if I HS him or is it a maturity thing??

I would really appreciate your thoughts/insights or feedback. I'm having a difficult time with this . I almost feel like it would be an easier decision if they were doing poorly in PS, lol. How sad is THAT?!

I really want to HS and so do they, but they seem to be doing well...

elliemaejune
User

Re: Looking for feedback on a dilemma...

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:42 pm

mama2cntrykids
User

Postby mama2cntrykids » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replies! I am still praying about this. I think as far as the testing goes, I was "blinded" by the high scores. I've woken up and realized that the scores are *just* that, scores.

The newest thing that has cropped up in my argument (with myself, lol) is my youngest son. He can be a challenge and I'm not sure how well I could educate him. He has asperger's and can be difficult in the day to day things, never mind school work, lol.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:47 am

I think elliemaejune did a great job addressing your concerns, now it's up to you to make the choice.

Best wishes! :)
Jill

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:04 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Mark

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:14 pm

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”