Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Determining grade for college course or CLEP on transcript..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparrow
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Determining grade for college course or CLEP on transcript.. Reply with quote

My 11th grader is taking a couple of courses (duel enrolled) at community college. Should I reflect on the highschool transcript I'm making the grade the college gives her?? or should I give the next higher grade as she's doing college work as a highschooler? (I know some homeschoolers do this, but is this the norm?) If I give the grade the college gives, should this be reflected on her highschool transcript as an "honors" course & therefore worth more (weighted) credit?

Also, she's taking some CLEP exams. She's taking a history CLEP test after taking the course in our homeschool. She's also taking College Math and English Composition CLEP tests WITHOUT taking corresponding courses here at home. Assuming she passes these & gets the college credits, should I list all of these as courses with grades on the highschool transcript, also indicating, of course, that the CLEP test was taken? (Example would be listing on transcript: College Math, College Composition 1, as courses).

Thanks very much for any help. I don't recall ever seeing these questions answered before.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Determining grade for college course or CLEP on transcri Reply with quote

Sparrow wrote:
My 11th grader is taking a couple of courses (duel enrolled) at community college. Should I reflect on the highschool transcript I'm making the grade the college gives her?? or should I give the next higher grade as she's doing college work as a highschooler? (I know some homeschoolers do this, but is this the norm?) If I give the grade the college gives, should this be reflected on her highschool transcript as an "honors" course & therefore worth more (weighted) credit?

On our transcripts, I put the same grade my dc had earned at the c.c., with a "T" after the high school credit earned, like this: "10T" (regardless of how many credits were earned at the c.c. There was a legend on the transcript that said something like, "T indicates credit transferred high school level or above."

Quote:
Also, she's taking some CLEP exams. She's taking a history CLEP test after taking the course in our homeschool. She's also taking College Math and English Composition CLEP tests WITHOUT taking corresponding courses here at home. Assuming she passes these & gets the college credits, should I list all of these as courses with grades on the highschool transcript, also indicating, of course, that the CLEP test was taken? (Example would be listing on transcript: College Math, College Composition 1, as courses).

Can't help you with these questions, though.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way CLEP exams work for purposes of high school / college credit is that there's a minimum score you need to get (decided individually according to the school / college), and if you pass that you are considered to have completed the material and get however many hours of credit. There's no real need to assign a grade to the coursework you did leading up to the exam.

I took quite a few AP / CLEP exams myself, and some portfolio review.
homescholar
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Determining grade for college course or CLEP on transcri Reply with quote

Sparrow wrote:

Thanks very much for any help. I don't recall ever seeing these questions answered before.

Hi! I usually recommend that your homeschool transcript represents the exact content of the dual enrollment college transcript: same course title and same grade. When you apply to a college, if you have clearly labeled the transcript they will completely understand that college credits are harder than high school credits. I wouldn't change the grades - I would let them speak for themselves.

My children took many CLEP courses as well. I did it the same way, and included the CLEP information exactly on the transcript. When they passed a CLEP, which is college level, I gave them "honors" by the course title, and I gave them an A for the course. I figure if they can pass a college level course in it, they certainly deserve an A in the high school course!

It can be pretty challenging to be the "clearing house" for all the courses that a homeschooler takes in high school. Then again, that's one of the benefits of homeschooling, right? We can include it all!

I hope that helps!
"Helping parents homeschool high school"
Free mini-course! http://budurl.com/5mistakesmini
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I suppose you could do that, but passing a CLEP exam doesn't really require being an A student. B would probably suffice. Now getting a 4 or 5 on an AP exam, on the other hand...

Anyway, if you include test scores, the college is probably going to make its decision solely off those, and ignore anything else you include for those particular courses. It's just less work, test scores provide an easy basis of comparison against other candidates, many of whom have their GPA's massively inflated. An A one place might equal a C at another.
janaleigh
User

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two options for the Community College course-either increase her letter grade one grade higher-this is common.

...Or note the class as an honors level class on her transcript. I would do one of these but not both. Universitities are fine with seeing a lowere grade (say a B instead of an A) in an honors level course.

For the classes that she took a CLEP test after completing-I would give her the grade she earned in your home school and not even mention the CLEP test. The CLEP test does validate her work if they are concerned about the level but best of all, she's earned college credits.

It sounds like you are doing a great job preparing her for the future and helping her get some early college units!

Take Care,
Jana
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
http://www.summerhouseliving.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: