Art History for a 5th Grader?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

GAHomeschoolingMom
User

Art History for a 5th Grader?

Postby GAHomeschoolingMom » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm wanting to start lining up my books for next school year and my son has asked that for 5th grade we add Art History as an elective class. He loves art, loves to draw, paint, color you name it, says when he grows up he wants to work at Pixar Animation Studios as one of their artists. However, every site I've looked at as far as Art History Textbooks are for grades 6 and up. While I'm sure he could keep up with it and understand it with no problem, I'm not sure that I want to start him off at that higher level if I can get one already broken down for grade 5. Any suggestions? This will be our 3rd year homeschooling, and while I'll be the first to admit we are very ecclectic in our schooling, I think next year I'm going to buckle down and pull more of the textbook/hands on learning out verses what we've already been doing.
~ No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings. ~ Wm Blake

bettany17
User

Postby bettany17 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 pm

I should think learning how to draw freehand would be a good first step into the artworld. My son will be taking drawing lessons soon---as he has advanced past my capabilities. It is through a library program and not very expensive at all.

Since my son was small-----for birthdays and Christmas holidays-- I purchased how to draw books for kids. He's gotten quite good. Now we are looking at investing in photoshop and Corbel (sp?) as he will advance to drawing on computer.

If you think your son can handle sixth grade art history--by all means get him the book! It certainly counts as art----but so doesn't drawing lessons at a local library and that is very hands on.....and you can provide the public school with copies of the drawings. It does count.

I am looking at Scott Foresman curriculum right now.....

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ151...

Hope the link works.

Good luck to you.

GAHomeschoolingMom
User

Postby GAHomeschoolingMom » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks I will definitely keep that in mind. He did take painting lessons last year but we didn't like the instructor too much, he tended to do the work more so than my son. He's always drawing and painting so we've not really worried about art lessons, esp. since in my small town there really isn't an option of that around here unless you can find someone at the college that is willing to teach it. So we definitely let him do alot of sketching throughout the day as he feels the need to. He keeps easels for painting and such as well.

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:18 am

Have you considered Artistic Pursuits? I believe it combines art history with art instruction, and it is great for homeschoolers.

GAHomeschoolingMom
User

Postby GAHomeschoolingMom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 pm

I hadn't hard of that one, I will definitely check into it. I did find out that one of the girls that works with me is going to school to be an Art Teacher so I am thinking of asking her if she would be interested in teaching him one class a week next school year. I know alot of times the local college here if the student talks to their professor they can get credit for tutoring they do, so I am hoping maybe she'll do it. I'd pay her of course just like I would any other instructor so maybe that will be an incentive.

mark_egp
User

Postby mark_egp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:53 pm

A lot of Art is sexual in nature or depicts disturbing subject matter, and realistic Art History books will show that. I wanted to start A.H. early with my kids but decided to wait. I think age 16 is about right for anything serious. Of course, you just study basic techniques of sculpture, painting, etc. at any age. But trying to see the "meaning" in the work takes a more mature mind.
Mark - http://www.everygoodpath.net/ Homeschool ideas
http://www.everygoodbook.com/ Classic Book lists easy to search/sort for history, literature, and reading lesson plans

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:27 pm

I just found this program and thought about this post. This looks neat as well.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/AP/Artists.htm

Mkat
User

Postby Mkat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:16 pm

I'm actually an art historian and one of the best things that kids learn with art history is just exposure to different ways of seeing.

You may just want to purchase ONE really great art history book with fabulous pictures and then use that throughout the life of the child, supplementing with free library books and visits to galleries and museums.

A great book is by Marilyn Stokstad, simply called Art History. It has gorgeous images and covers world art.

Yes, there is nudity...in our family nudity isn't a problem. My children have had these books and images in the house their whole life, and they are the only kids I know who you can take into a museum and not giggle about the statues. Naturally, all families handle things differently so just be aware.

One thing that Stokstad does that NO other author does is that she refuses to use art consisting of rape or sexual violence, deeming it to be unnecessary and a bad example. Now, those images can be good in discussions about sexual violence...but not as a piece we should hold up as an art teaching tool to kids.

With a comprehensive book like this (Gardner's Art Through the Ages is also good), you only buy ONE book ever and no matter where your child is, you can pick and choose from the book...no need to go cover to cover. As your child gets older (high school age), you can have him/her read the text and analyze it but for younger children, there is value in simply flipping the pages. You could always pick one or a few pieces to focus on, print out free art coloring pages like African masks or Matisse cut-outs (http://www.artsology.com/coloring_book.php), and always there is a lot of discussion to be had. For later elementary to middle school kids, having them discuss what they see using art terms can be interesting! They see everything, I tell you!

I can help if you need anything!

MasterpieceCards
User

Art History for Young Children

Postby MasterpieceCards » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm a new member and jumping in late to this conversation, but...

I've published a set of art history flash cards of famous paintings in Western art, covering the Renaissance to the 1960s. Each famous painting is reproduced and has an art analysis of it by an art historian. With these Cards, you can "feed" your son art history is small bites (Card by Card) and let him read the explanation of what the paintings are about.

Details and sample art history flash cards are at the website:
www.TheMasterpieceCards.com.

Best of luck with your son -- he sounds fabulous!
Susan Benford, President
Masterpiece Cards

Art History Flash Cards of Famous Paintings

alwayshomeschooling
User

Postby alwayshomeschooling » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:40 am

One of my favorite art history and technique courses for young kids is Meet the Masters. This is now available on-line and is a wonderful course for teaching the student about the artist, his or her technique, the time period, and then step by step instruction on how to create your own masterpiece in the same style.
We used to use this in print format and loved it. I would assume the online version is even better.
Check them out here . http://www.meetthemasters.com/store/index.html
Jessica L. Parnell is a homeschool consultant, evaluator, and principal of Bridgeway Homeschool Academy, an international homeschool academy, that has been serving the homeschool community since 1989. Visit jessica-parnell.com my personal blog.

merylvdm
User

Postby merylvdm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 pm

I am use Meet the Masters with my 9 year old - and we are both loving it. You can get it cheaper through Homeschoolbuyers Co-op. It is free to join the co-op and they have wonderful curriculum discounted.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”