Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, so how do you fit it in??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommyto2gr8ones
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Ok, so how do you fit it in?? Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out how to work in the Bible to my dc's schooling. I have books that are strictly lesson books and then I have some suggestions of working in Unit studies surrounding a Bible story or something of that nature. I'm curious to see how everyone else works thier spirituality/religion into the school day. Thanks in advance!!
And Furbaby CopyCat~7/03
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me"~Phillipians 4:13
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a site I've been using for lack of anything better. My 12yo is outgrowing it but he does not grumble. It is free and printable and appears to be put out by a firefighter group.

http://children.calvarychapel.com/site/curriculum.htm

We usually sing about 3 to 4 songs. Then, read some scriptures, have a little discussion and say our prayers. This used to be our first class but since our family has grown... the younger ones sleep longer... we have math class, then praise/worship, etc.
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the A Beka Flash a Card series for elementary Bible class. We've finished those so we're going to switch to BJU Bible when our new school year starts in January. I prefer a more structured approach since I'm not comfortable, otherwise, in teaching it.
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have BIBLE time scheduled in as part of opening exercises. We sign O Canada. Pray THE LORDS PRAYER, read through each child's verses for the month, read a story out of our Children's Bible and go through 25 Bible questions to help us all in remembering details. all together this takes only 15 minutes.
kgianforti
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my preschooler, we pray before class (she prays then I pray) and we do our memory verse. Our curriculum is Bible based. We read Bible stories outside of class too. Bible based videos are used as well.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used Positive Action for Christ curriculum until a couple of years ago and now we use old bible school and sunday school materials that the churches around us are discarding. We also have a local TV station that plays a lot of religious programing and we pick a couple to watch each week. We actually use this with our older child as a comparative religion class since not all the information that is played is what we believe.
marannt
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

We integrate Bible study throughout the day, depending on what we are doing. Many of the books we read together have a topic that leads us to a quick Bible study. Discipline definitely leads us to Bible study throughout the day Smile I try to use what I'm personally studying as a jumping off point for discussion each day. That helps me reinforce my interpretation of what I'm studying, as well.

As far as resources, that changes from day to day. Right now, Green Leaf's Guide to the Old Testament is laying beside my chair. We worked through this as a family with our older children, and it was something they still remember with fond memories. The way we do it, is mostly Mom or Dad reads the passage at night (during our family prayer time), and we quickly discuss the questions in the guide. Then of course, we talk about our prayer lsit, and pray together as a family. This works for us. I've always had a hard time sticking with a more structured approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: