Building Lesson Plans

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Building Lesson Plans

Postby kkapfe » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:58 pm

I will be starting to home school my two older children this fall. My oldest daughter will be in kindergarten and my middle daughter will be doing kindergarten. I am trying to build lesson plans from the curriculum I have gathered but the curriculum does not have enough to last 176 days which is needed in our state. How do I know how much time they need to do each subject every day or week?

Also, I am so excited about home schooling. Is it wrong to want to start now before the school year should start? Since it is my first year, I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to start way early in case some things take longer than expected. That way we wouldn't get behind.

Any ideas??

Theodore

Feel free to start whenever you want...

Postby Theodore » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:14 pm

Quite a few families homeschool year-round, so they can cover more material per year in less time per day. Feel free to start at any time :)

kkapfe
User

Building Lesson Plans

Postby kkapfe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:25 am

If you home school year-round...how do you know when to move to the next grade?

Help!

Theodore

Re: Building Lesson Plans

Postby Theodore » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:32 am

You move to the next grade when you've covered all the material in this grade. The whole grade system is articificial anyway, and it's better to cover objective subject areas (European History) rather than subjective grade levels (7th grade Social Studies)- unless going with a packaged curriculum, in which case each grade is whatever the curriculum says it is.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:21 pm

We homeschool year round. We are with a homeschooling charter school which follows the public school calendar, so for their purposes my daughter has just finished 1st grade. If we weren't with the charter, we would have notheing to do withe grade levels. She reads adult books, and does math at 2nd-3rd grade, so how could you classify her as simply 1st or 2nd grade?

sparkie12
User

Year round

Postby sparkie12 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:36 pm

I have been homeschooling since last September. My five year old son is already starting to read some and is way above Kindergarten level in understanding math. I just have long term goals like my first goal was to teach him all of his letters and what sounds they make. We had that done in say 4 months. Then we moved on to talking about beginning sounds in words, then it was ending sounds that we worked on. I then started working on sight words and before I knew it he could read simple books. As far as math goes, he already knew how to count to ten so we worked on simple addition with counting objects. When he had that down pat we started working subtraction problems. It is really all about logical progression. Some days he is not interested in reading or math so we do some science projects or take a walk outside and see what birds are out or what bugs we can find. The frogs pretty much don't come around here anymore. :lol:

If he were in public school, he would be entering Kindergarten in the fall. He is waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the game and most of it came from just playing and talking and reading. Very little stress other than the usual parenting frustrations. :x My three year old is already showing interest in his letters and numbers and he pretends to read books by looking at the pictures. The stories can get pretty interesting sometimes but he has a book in hand and that is one of my goals!! :D

I really do not like the grade level thing at all. It kinda puts 'em in a box as far as learning is concerned. That is why I am confused as to what to do about curriculums. Nothing totally fits in with what I want to teach. So, I will be doing my own thing and piecing together our school stuff again. I guess I am an eclectic unschooler? :wink:

Hope this helped!!

Blessings, Robin

(BTW the one thing we do get done each week if nothing else is Scripture memorization and Bible story time. Instruction in GOD's Word is really the center of our whole homeschool theory.)
Blessed are they that hear the Word of GOD and keep it. Luke 11:28

Return to “Getting Started”