New to Homeschooling w/ grade confusion

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ora Godwin
User

New to Homeschooling w/ grade confusion

Postby Ora Godwin » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:11 pm

I am considering hs my 12 year old son.

How do I know where he really is acedemically?

He just finished 6th grade in public school but had very poor grades.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Ora

Theodore

Re: New to Homeschooling w/ grade confusion

Postby Theodore » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:55 pm

A number of curriculums (Bob Jones University, Robinson, Alpha Omega, Switched-On Schoolhouse, etc.) offer placement tests, which should give you a general idea where your son is, at least compared to their grade level systems. This is the best choice if you want to go with a specific curriculum.

Also, you may find the mini tests linked off this page useful:
http://www.center.k12.mo.us/edtech/resources/MAP.htm

Scroll down to the Elementary School Resources section and click the individual subjects and then the tests corresponding to your son's assumed grade level (or below, if he can't handle the material at that level). This will also tell you where your son is and what material he needs to cover to catch up.

AprilP
User

grade confusion

Postby AprilP » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:18 pm

I am going to start homeschooling my 7 year old this coming school year. She has breezed through kindergarden and 1st grade with straight "O's" almost effortlessly and is reading at a third grade reading level. Because of her birthday (Oct.), she was one of the oldest children in her class. Would it be safe to just purchase a third grade curriculum (at least in language arts)? Is placement testing really necessary and this age, or can I just get the placement info from her former teacher?

Theodore

Re: grade confusion

Postby Theodore » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Grade level content varies from curriculum to curriculum, so if you're transitioning from public school and there are placement tests available for the curriculum you want, it's probably a good idea to take a few days and do one. Even if you find out you made the correct choice originally, the placement test won't hurt, since it will highlight the areas your daughter is weakest in.

Return to “Getting Started”