any good reading program could recommend me?

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lillian
User

any good reading program could recommend me?

Postby lillian » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:57 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:29 am

My favorite reading program is the library.

When my son went to special ed at school for 1hr 3x a week, they had all kinds of reading programs they tried, every time he would stagnate in his reading. Over the summer he would blossom, the only thing we changed was "no pressure, just read" I read to all of them, and to him 1-1, and he reads to me or by himself. He picks the books, and sometimes I am surprised by what he picks, but because it is his choice he tries harder than he would if it was mine.

That just MHO though.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

lillian
User

Postby lillian » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:05 am

thank you. I am not familiar with program. what is the website for them or how can I google them?

mark_egp
User

Postby mark_egp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:49 am

We've collected dozens of book lists/recommendations over 10+ years of homeschooling. From these recommendations I've compiled a "best" list for each reading level, and put it on a website. Here's the link for the early/Elementary reading level:

http://www.everygoodbook.com/quicksearch/01000

There are dozens of ways to search this book list, here are more ideas:

http://www.everygoodbook.com/sitemap

You can't go wrong with any of the books on these lists. Look through the descriptions to find several of interest for your kids. The site also has a link to look-up each book in your local library, to make it easier to get these books to your kids.
Mark - http://www.everygoodpath.net/ Homeschool ideas
http://www.everygoodbook.com/ Classic Book lists easy to search/sort for history, literature, and reading lesson plans

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:15 am

For teaching our children to read we use Abeka K Phonics. It is a Christian based, phonics program that is simple and easy to use, and we move through it at our children's pace. If they are ready to move on, we let them. If they need a little more time, we slow down. We eliminate some of the busywork, classroom type activities.

You could use any phonic program for teaching reading, depending on your preference for your child. A very popular program is Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.

For a reading program, we also just use our library. I read aloud to the children and they choose books of their own to read. Reading aloud will help you judge reading comprehension and teach them new vocabulary. It also helps them enjoy books.

You can find book suggestions in the books Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt and Books Children Love by Elizabeth Laraway Wilson and Susan Schaeffer Macaulay.

Here are some tips for teaching homeschool reading.
Last edited by Jazzy on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:22 am

We like A beka and Bob Jones University reading programs for K through 5th. We haven't gone past that grade yet.

roma
User

early readers

Postby roma » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:55 am

RC

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:44 pm

I also recommend abeka but there are free resources too. There is starfall.com, learningpage.com, studydog.com. They all have phonics lessons and printables that are free. For 4th grade I would go with abeka or bob jones. Personally I use Abeka.

JoeSwimmer
User

Here is a list of Books for boys and girls

Postby JoeSwimmer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:52 am

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”