Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Recordkeeping !!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: No Recordkeeping !! Reply with quote

I don't have a question. -- I just wanted to say THANK GOODNESS I live in Arkansas. We don't have to do any recordkeeping at all. It seems to really stress out alot of people. When we first started I tried to keep a log of what we did daily just to show my husband who works out of town. Big mistake! I found myself paying more attention to the log book than to what we were learning. So now I just keep a mental note of where we are and what I want to do next. Much better. Laughing
cclake
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No Recordkeeping !! Reply with quote

Miss_Kristy wrote:
I don't have a question. -- I just wanted to say THANK GOODNESS I live in Arkansas. We don't have to do any recordkeeping at all. It seems to really stress out alot of people. When we first started I tried to keep a log of what we did daily just to show my husband who works out of town. Big mistake! I found myself paying more attention to the log book than to what we were learning. So now I just keep a mental note of where we are and what I want to do next. Much better. Laughing

OH YES!!!!!!! We are MOVING TO ARKANSAS!!!! You are VERY FORTUNATE! Earlier today, I just sat & CRIED! I feel like I am failing my children! Dinner is late every night! ALL OVER THIS RECORD KEEPING! NO ONE should have to FEAR the STATE & LOCAL AUTHORITIES just because they want to give their children a decent education at home!!!! I keep reading how Missouri is one of the least regulated states! HARDLY ANY RECORD KEEPING THEY SAY! I BEG TO DIFFER!! Just a portfolio, plan BOOK!, attendance record & DAILY LOG! IS THAT ALL?? I Find Myself doing more record keeping than school work with my children !
They are really Good kids when it comes to learning at home too! But, Trying to JUSTIFY IT is doing me in!!!!!! Sad
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to fill out the daily log, plan book and attendence record, say a week in advance? Not cheating, mind, just doing things a little ahead of time. Wink That may free up some time for you during the week. - How long have you been HSing?
Innovative1
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Keeping a Report Card is simple Reply with quote

I started using weekly assignment sheets for each subject, that I coorilated with a grading sheet for each subject, then would add up the average at the end of each month. Well, yeah way too much record keeping for me, so after I talked to a friend of mine who is a teacher, she suggested doing a simple score keeping method. For every assignment, activity, fieldtrip, etc., give them a set amount of points, say 10 for each thing completed. So if you do 5 assignments, activities, etc. per day they get 50 points per day, 250 points per week, and if you want, explain the system to your child, so they understand they are earning points. This way you can do a simple report card: 8 weeks x 250 points =2000 points. Let's say in math your child gets 1800 points, 90%, but if they participate in everything there's no way they're getting less than 2000 points cuz they aren't getting graded on how many they get wrong(we as parents reteach them if they aren't getting answers right) they get the points for completion of assignments and activities.
Hope this makes sense. It's simple and by the way, I have a big orange envelope I just throw all the assignments in and mark the Year on the outside, it's my little inbox!
richmc
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Oklahoma we do not have to report anything either but we still keeps record of everything we do just incase we ever need them. Right now we use the basic(free) version of Homeschool Tracker. After the initial setup, we spend about 15 min each evening entering grades for the day, reading log, attendance etc. and enter the assignments for the next day. If our plans change or we do something spontaneous, it is quick and easy to go in and change.

As the kids get older we will be switching over to the full version so that we can do transcript. If anyone is interested in trying it, you can get it at http://www.homeschooltracker.com
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our state doesn't require much record keeping either if you choose an annual testing option. Nonetheless, I keep a daily lesson plan book. I just quickly jot down what we do as we do it. In addition, workbook pages get rubber banded and thrown in a storage box each year. I'm just worried somewhere down the road some college or some state will make me prove my child was educated. Rolling Eyes
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually going to start some sort of record next year. Just in case. Nothing too complicated though. Razz
isamama
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to a state that requires me to not only notify, but notify with a scope and sequence or list of courses to study. They have specific things to cover; regular ole stuff I do already, cept they want civics addressed specifically.

In my old state we had to keep attendance and notify, but a few years into it a hs friend of mine with a politician friend gave me an article that stated I didn't need to "turn in the attendance" just have it available if requested, so I stopped keeping attendance Very Happy I already kept a lesson plan book with what we did each day, so if it was ever "requested" it woudl be quick for me to "scribble" some checkmark/digits that add up to the correct hours.

I use a lesson plan book because I find we are too mobile; we need something small that can come with us. I tried Edu Track and although that was great, it didn't meet our needs I found I was taking too much time doing it. Here is a link to the lesson planner I use, and love.

http://www.paynepub.com/sap2.htm

I feel ps teachers are overburdoned with red tape, excessive paperwork, and foofoo seminars; hence why they couldn't take the time to really do their job for my children.
groovyhsmama
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No Recordkeeping !! Reply with quote

Miss_Kristy wrote:

I wish I didn't have to. For our state we have to take attendance and if they ever go into public schools, we have to present his/her work to get them into the appropriate grade level. riate
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No Recordkeeping !! Reply with quote

groovyhsmama wrote:
I wish I didn't have to. For our state we have to take attendance and if they ever go into public schools, we have to present his/her work to get them into the appropriate grade level. riate

But NC doesn't define what "attendance" is, and you never, ever have to show attendance records. I wouldn't bother with it, but if it would make you feel better, you could print an attendance record from www.donnayoung.org for each child, and stick it in a folder.

As far as presenting your dc's work for them to return to school, this is what DNPE says:
Quote:
DNPE suggests that before finalizing plans for establishing a home school, you first consult with the chief administrator of the local conventional school (public or private) which your child would otherwise be attending. Ask him/her how he/she would handle the grade placement of your child should you decide later to terminate your home school and enroll your child in that school. The initial point of student entry into the NC public school system is the kindergarten level.

It sounds to me as if there is no specific law but that it is up to the individual school. It is realistic for the school to expect some sort of objective evaluation of a child's educational abilities, but given the lack of any specific law, I'd think that recent standardized test scores, possibly a bibliography of materials used, would be enough. Sadly, school officials don't always agree with me. Laughing
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
groovyhsmama
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: No Recordkeeping !! Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
groovyhsmama wrote:

But NC doesn't define what "attendance" is, and you never, ever have to show attendance records. I wouldn't bother with it, but if it would make you feel better, you could print an attendance record from www.donnayoung.org for each child, and stick it in a folder.

groovyhsmama wrote:

They send HS' in NC an attendance sheet. Lately in this area, the law has been checking in on HS'. I know someone this has happened to.

elliemaejune wrote:
suggests that before finalizing plans for establishing a home school, you first consult with the chief administrator of the local conventional school (public or private) which your child would otherwise be attending. Ask him/her how he/she would handle the grade placement of your child should you decide later to terminate your home school and enroll your child in that school. The initial point of student entry into the NC public school system is the kindergarten level.

It sounds to me as if there is no specific law but that it is up to the individual school. It is realistic for the school to expect some sort of objective evaluation of a child's educational abilities, but given the lack of any specific law, I'd think that recent standardized test scores, possibly a bibliography of materials used, would be enough. Sadly, school officials don't always agree with me. Laughing[/quote]

groovyhsmama wrote:
The law here is very slack, but the schools are not. I know too many teachers and the school superintendent and they do request the work and almost always try to put HS'd kids 1 grade behind. It stinks but is true. Thankfully, it isn't much to write down with the help of my curriculum.

elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law in NC is very simple: notify the Department of Non Public Education (DNPE) when you first start hsing, test annually, allow test scores to be inspected; sadly, public school officials have been overstepping their legal authority for some time, and NC hsers are letting them. In fact, the statewide hs group encourages hsers to comply with DNPE's illegal actions (and probably local public school officials, too).

The only thing that public school officials are allowed to "inspect" are the most recent test scores, and as far as I can tell, only DNPE may inspect them, not local school officials. DNPE may not, under any circumstances, be allowed to see "attendance records," immunization records, textbooks or other materials used, samples of children's work, or anything else.

The law does not require hsers to use any specific attendance forms. If you know someone who was contacted by local school officials over this and she complied, then you know someone who needed to stand up for her rights and didn't.

Were I in NC, I'd be the first test case, 'cuz there's no way I would comply with one single illegal "request" from local public schools or DNPE. I'd be keeping my HSLDA membership current, of course Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live where there's no reporting, no laws governing us..but we still keep records. I think it's important to keep a log so if something does happen and your child ends up back in the school system (family illness, etc), there's no scrambling around to try to comply.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
The law in NC is very simple: notify the Department of Non Public Education (DNPE) when you first start hsing, test annually, allow test scores to be inspected; sadly, public school officials have been overstepping their legal authority for some time, and NC hsers are letting them. In fact, the statewide hs group encourages hsers to comply with DNPE's illegal actions (and probably local public school officials, too).

The only thing that public school officials are allowed to "inspect" are the most recent test scores, and as far as I can tell, only DNPE may inspect them, not local school officials. DNPE may not, under any circumstances, be allowed to see "attendance records," immunization records, textbooks or other materials used, samples of children's work, or anything else.

The law does not require hsers to use any specific attendance forms. If you know someone who was contacted by local school officials over this and she complied, then you know someone who needed to stand up for her rights and didn't.

Were I in NC, I'd be the first test case, 'cuz there's no way I would comply with one single illegal "request" from local public schools or DNPE. I'd be keeping my HSLDA membership current, of course Smile

This is all true. You don't have to let them in your house and you only have to show them your test scores. I don't do any record keeping for the state, including attendance. I do keep records for myself though using a computer program and now I am making transcripts for my oldest but I can take my own time getting them put together. In fact, most of the time I don't do any entries until the summer so I can concentrate on my kids during the year. They have to give you one week notice before they show up. Further more where else would your kids be. Just get the sheet or calendar, or something with the days of the week on it and mark present for the school days. They said you had to keep attendance, not itemize what you did or where you were that day. In my house every day we learn something even if we don't use a formal book.

As for the person who had the state check them out, they are the first person I have ever heard of this happening to. There are only around 5 employees at the NCDNPE so unless you live close to Raleigh the chances of them bothering you are slim to none. Even if they do visit you they can't do anything to you if you show them the test scores and there is no minimum you must get so everyone is safe. I do know they try to tell you that you must send in your test scores but I will NOT do that. If they want to see my scores then they can use the gas and time to drive to me. Then they can wait on my porch while I take my time to find the tests. I intend to make it as difficult as I can without doing anything illegal.. They have sent me a notice the last two years asking me to "voluntarily" send in my tests and attendance. I respectfully declined both times! It really gets to me when the state thinks they need to police me and how I choose to raise my children.
MelissaM
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obviously important to know your rights according to where you live, and ensure that they are respectfully protected. While I respect any inspection thoroughly intended to ensure that children are being educated and cared for, I resent implications that parents ensuring that their children are educated as individuals are suspect. We all know that there are almost as many reasons for homeschooling as there are homeschooling families, so this pigeon-holed suspicion is getting tiresome.

As for keeping records, tiresome though it might be, I think it is important. Not only does it give you and your child a map of where you've been and where you are heading on this journey, but you may find yourself in a situation where suddenly records are required or rules have been changed. Entry into the university of your choice, if so desired, might even be dependent on it!

In most cases a simple estimation of time spent per day/week should suffice, with the work undertaken as proof. With scanners, computers, hard-drives, etc, if you are including digital mediums in your study, you won't even be burdened with reams of paper records.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: