Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When should I actually start formal Preschool sittings with

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinkhydrangea
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: When should I actually start formal Preschool sittings with Reply with quote

When should I actually start formal Preschool sittings with my 4 year old?
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: When should I actually start formal Preschool sittings? Reply with quote

4-year-olds are old enough to learn to read (in fact, you could start late age 3), so any time now is good. Just try to limit your sittings to 45 minutes or so so your child's attention level doesn't drop off.

If 45 minutes isn't enough, take a 15-minute break between sessions.
June R Oberlander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning begins at birth. Simple age appropriate learning skills will serve to aid the child's development. Before beginning formal preschool education a child should have had many varied experiences in order to build a strong foundation for formal learning. Visual and listening skills are especially important. Most young children have short attention spans.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I taught preschool, we would have circle time. You could do that with him. When he is at his best time of day, sing songs, talk about the weather, days of the week, seasons, things that will be short and keep his attention. Then as he gets older you can introduce other topics that he is interested in and as his attention span grows introduce more typical school work ,if that is how you plan to teach him. That way he will already have in his schedule a time and place for school stuff to be.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: