Veritas Press

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ledbetter14reading
User

Veritas Press

Postby Ledbetter14reading » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:17 am

Hello, I'm going to be homeschooling my daughter who will be turing five in the fall. I have liked what I have seen from Veritas Press but I think the Phonics Museum might be a bit too much for her right now. Have any of you used this program? If so, what are your thoughts and have you implemented it with a young five-year-old? I am thinking of starting with "Sonlight" because of it's "literature-rich" approach this year instead but I've never seen the curriculum so I'm not sure if you just read to them (which of course we already do) or if they also provide letter recognition practice and such. I think I would want to do more than just read everyday to her. It's hard to make a judgement without first seeing the curriculum! :) I'm new to homeschooling but I was a teacher before I had children. I taught ABeka and BJ. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!-Stephanie

nita
User

new to homeschooling

Postby nita » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:40 am

Hi,
I am also trying to get feedback on Veritas as well as other homeschooling curriculum choices. I noticed you have used A Beka. What did you think of that program. Was it challenging enough? Was it interesting for the children? Was it primarily workbook based or do they provide activities to engage the children in learning the topic at hand? I checked out Veritas online, but have not seen any of their actual material. From what I have seen, it looks like a very challenging program, but very thorough. It seems they use a lot of teaching songs to drill the rules of the different subjects. That could be good, but I would love to talk with someone who has used the program, including their "Scholar" classes. I am brand new to the homeschooling concept. I taught school years ago...early childhood special ed and grade school as well as Sunday School and PSR for years. Now my daughter is asking me to consider helping her homeschool their four children. I would like to help her, but am a bit nervous.

Reepicheep
User

Postby Reepicheep » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:02 am

Veritas phonics is hard, but my kids currently in 1st and 4th used it and ended up reading sooner than their older sibs.
Can be frustrating at times, esp at end of K. In the long run, prob worth it.
Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.

nita
User

thanks

Postby nita » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Thank you for your input. You are the first person I got a response from who has ever used Vertitas. We are currently considering Kolbe curriculum. It is a specifically Catholic program. My daughter and son-in-law are not Catholic, but we can substitute another Christian faith curriculum for that portion.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”