Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veritas Press

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ledbetter14reading
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Veritas Press Reply with quote

Hello, I'm going to be homeschooling my daughter who will be turing five in the fall. I have liked what I have seen from Veritas Press but I think the Phonics Museum might be a bit too much for her right now. Have any of you used this program? If so, what are your thoughts and have you implemented it with a young five-year-old? I am thinking of starting with "Sonlight" because of it's "literature-rich" approach this year instead but I've never seen the curriculum so I'm not sure if you just read to them (which of course we already do) or if they also provide letter recognition practice and such. I think I would want to do more than just read everyday to her. It's hard to make a judgement without first seeing the curriculum! Smile I'm new to homeschooling but I was a teacher before I had children. I taught ABeka and BJ. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!-Stephanie
nita
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: new to homeschooling Reply with quote

Hi,
I am also trying to get feedback on Veritas as well as other homeschooling curriculum choices. I noticed you have used A Beka. What did you think of that program. Was it challenging enough? Was it interesting for the children? Was it primarily workbook based or do they provide activities to engage the children in learning the topic at hand? I checked out Veritas online, but have not seen any of their actual material. From what I have seen, it looks like a very challenging program, but very thorough. It seems they use a lot of teaching songs to drill the rules of the different subjects. That could be good, but I would love to talk with someone who has used the program, including their "Scholar" classes. I am brand new to the homeschooling concept. I taught school years ago...early childhood special ed and grade school as well as Sunday School and PSR for years. Now my daughter is asking me to consider helping her homeschool their four children. I would like to help her, but am a bit nervous.
Reepicheep
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veritas phonics is hard, but my kids currently in 1st and 4th used it and ended up reading sooner than their older sibs.
Can be frustrating at times, esp at end of K. In the long run, prob worth it.
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.
nita
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for your input. You are the first person I got a response from who has ever used Vertitas. We are currently considering Kolbe curriculum. It is a specifically Catholic program. My daughter and son-in-law are not Catholic, but we can substitute another Christian faith curriculum for that portion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: