Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAT/Act Test?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horse_rider1990
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: SAT/Act Test? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could explain where I can learn how to use a scientific calculator? I can do math on paper just fine, but I can't on a calculator.

And I will be taking the test the first of the year, in preparation for college (I'm in my Senior year).

Thanks in advance, horse_rider1990
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this link will help.

http://www.how2begin.com/business/how-to-use-a-scientific-calculator-2.html

BTW, my girl says a graphing calculator would have helped her a great deal on the ACT. You might think about getting one of them and figuring out how to use it. It's pricey around $100.00 but a good ACT score and GPA, can get you anywhere from $5000. up in scholarship money!

My girl got one quite easily from the college of her choice.
dantes2121
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SAT/Act Test? Reply with quote

horse_rider1990 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could explain where I can learn how to use a scientific calculator? I can do math on paper just fine, but I can't on a calculator.

And I will be taking the test the first of the year, in preparation for college (I'm in my Senior year).

Thanks in advance, horse_rider1990

I used a TI-83 when I took the SAT. Frankly you don't really need any of its scientific functions to ace the math section. The only thing nice about it over a basic calculator is a record of your work on the screen, so that you can quickly double-check for typos
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A graphing calculator is no doubt nice for solving problems in real-life, but unnecessary for doing coursework. You'll learn the math better if you do it by hand, which means sticking with the basic trig / mathematical functions.

I went up through Calc III without ever using a graphing calculator. Scored quite well, too Smile
ruby.mein
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:

I went up through Calc III without ever using a graphing calculator. Scored quite well, too Smile

maybe, because you are quite good on your Math lessons... like me, I am not really good on Math so I really need to use a scientific calculator
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that a calculator is an artificial prop. If you're doing your math on a calculator, you're not learning to do it by hand. Given, it can be useful to check your answers on a calculator, but it becomes a big temptation to rely on the calculator rather than your brain, resulting in not actually learning the math as well. This goes double for people whose talents lie in areas other than math.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: