Homeschooling 3 year old.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

perls
User

Homeschooling 3 year old.

Postby perls » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:22 am

My son turned 3 in oct. I don't want to push him, but as a teacher I would like to start teaching him hear at home for I am very blessed to be able to stay home with him.
My questions:
1. Should I be a member of a homeschool group in my area?
2. What are some good curriculums out there for pre-school?
3. Any good online sights, with ideas and printable sheets, (FREE).
Shannon

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Welcome!

As far as "curriculum" I would suggest reading The 3 R's by Ruth Beechick.

I would suggest finding some type of local group if you feel you need it. Believe it or not, your child probably doesn't need "social" interaction with alot of other kids if he plays with you alot. The group would be more for your benefit.

Best wishes!
Jill

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:13 am

The most important lessons to learn at home right now are the concrete ones. Don't even look for worksheets - there's nothing that can be learned from them that can't be learned more successfully with objects. I suggest you have these things in your home:

-an egg carton

-Popsicle sticks

-good quality art supplies : crayons, block crayons, paint, scissors, Ferby pencils, hole punchers, different papers, pipe cleaners, and stamps.

-board games

-dice

-blocks/figurines

-pretend play items: food, dolls, etc.

-"real" play items: a stethoscope, flashlights, cookware, cleaning supplies, cheap camera. The difference from pretend play is this stuff all works. It adds an extra dimension to their pretend and gives you tools to continue on learning later.

-sand/box of rice

-pasta or beans

-small pitchers

-prep bowls

-buttons

-wikisticks

-colorforms/fractiles

-tangram

-tweezers, toast tongs, children's chopsticks

-puzzles, the kind where each piece is the shape it should be (ex. a bird puzzle would have the shapes of the wing, beak, foot, body, tail, head as pieces, South America would have each country its own piece).

-library card
-----------------------------------------

You probably have a lot of this, right? Set up low work stations, either defined by a sheet on the floor or find a coffee table at a yard sale. You can work on so many different skills with just a few basic items, and get a LOT more out of the learning experience than worksheets would offer.

I mean...okay, we're working on area/volume in math right now. I introduced Euler's law through the Sir Cumference books, and we spent yesterday building polyhedra out of toothpicks and gumdrops, building boxes and finding surface area then volume, finding the perimeter of different objects, including where Rectangle the Donkey walked all over our Cathedral board (first found the perimeter, then found how much area he ruined that we'd have to "replace".

With a 3yo, start with the basics - teach handwriting in the sand, washing up after lunch (going counterclockwise circles), sorting with the toast tongs, allowing freedom with the Ferby (triangular) colored pencils. Teach math with sorting different objects, playing hopscotch, putting wikicircles around groups, candyland and Hi Ho Cherry-O. Science is experiments around the house and museum time, social studies is being in the world, pre-reading skills come from drawing pictures, being allowed to play with letters, you reading to her, even library books that have no/few words, like The Red Book or the Carl series.

There are a TON of things you can do with a 3yo that's not "schoolish", but education and learning. I love this site here - www.besthomeschooling.org - there's plenty of ideas and links under its preschool and K activities list that are fun to do.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

easyhomeschooling
User

Best TEchqiue for Homeschooling 3 year old.

Postby easyhomeschooling » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:36 pm

Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

conbre
User

Postby conbre » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:49 am

It depends on your child and what he is ready for. I read a lot to my kids, let them watch the leapfrog videos, (they learned the alphabet this way). I then started them on hooked on phonics which was great if they're ready. You can also just go to Walmart and by a preschool book and see if your child is ready for any of the idaas they give. At this age you are just introducing them to school. Make it fun.

kewkew
User

Postby kewkew » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi, I worked at a Montessori for a several years and just recently I found two books by Barbara Curtis called Mommy, Teach Me! and Mommy, Teach Me to Read! I would recommend them, plus the book Slow and Steady Get Me Ready by June R. Oberlander for activities to work on. I also found a great website www.letteroftheweek.com. This has curriculum ideas for different ages.
Praise be to the Lord Jesus Christ to whom I am forever thankful. He is God.

Return to “Getting Started”