Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nervous about first year of HS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
als907
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Nervous about first year of HS Reply with quote

Hi,
After getting fed up with our local school system, my husband and I have decided to home school our children. I am really nervous about the upcoming year. I have been reading everything I can find for help. I just don't want to mess it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kelly
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll do fine! Be confident and flexible, that was the best advice I got when I started this past year. Then read all the posts, we really cover just about everything. Laughing
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
MeganWiles
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no one piece of advice, just read as much as you can, and educate yourself as much as possible. There are lots of great resources out on the internet, the more informed you are the easier the transition will be.
Janet Tatman
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

als907,

What would be worse, you making a few mistakes learning how to home school or leaving your kids in public school?
You can do this, but it will take time and effort on your part. It is a full time job, but also blessed with full-time rewards.
I assume you have checked into your state's legal requirements to home school and also picked a curriculum to use. If not, those are your first two considerations. Find a homeschool support group in your area, too. You will need the encouragement from others.
Also, you will face the adjustment time of dealing with your childrens previous education in a traditional school setting. They will miss their friends and have to learn to respect you as their teacher. It all will take time, but don't give up.
They are your children and God will help you know how to best teach them. Read everything you can to help you be more informed.
Let me know if I can help with any other questions. God bless.
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be hard on yourself.
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to pick one thing that helped me the most this past year, it would be "don't be afraid to change in the middle of the school year". We changed how we were doing history and science, how our schedule worked, so much stuff. We still got all our work done, we finished earlier than I thought we would, and we are all doing ok. I'm kind of going "ack" at getting ready for next year, but I'm not going to actually get anything until after church camp. (the 19th -23rd of June). It was quite the ride, and I'm so grateful we did it! I hope you will be too!
als907
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: curriculim Reply with quote

the only thng that i have not decided on is a curriculim - there are so many different ones, just not sure which would work better for me. I have one daughter goin to 4th grade and another daughter goin into 5th grade. Any suggestions that would work better for them?
Thanks again for all the help
Kelly
birdy
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started (we're going year round)...

I found a cirriculum dealer who was a resonable drive away who carried all sorts of cirriculum.

I went to her on a mutually agreeable day. Brought work from my kids and we went to town pulling stuff off shelves, etc.

I had a great time and feel really confident with my choices. The kids have enjoyed it too. I also visited all the homeschool families I could and looked at their first so I went to the cirric store with ideas of what I liked.
mjnicholas
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: curriculim Reply with quote

als907 wrote:
the only thng that i have not decided on is a curriculim - there are so many different ones, just not sure which would work better for me. I have one daughter goin to 4th grade and another daughter goin into 5th grade. Any suggestions that would work better for them?
Thanks again for all the help
Kelly

I would suggest Sonlight curriculum because it seems like it would be a good one to use with children so close in learning abilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: