bridging gaps

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

megan mom

bridging gaps

Postby megan mom » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:39 am

:D hi there, i have a daughter that has asperger syndrome and when she was in public school they were not giving her what she needed so therefore she has gaps. she can read anything but she has trouble with the comprehension. she has trouble with math also she memorizes and doesnt really understand how it works. can anyone recommend anything? i have been looking at the math u see, has anyone used it? thanks deanna :?:

antonia
User

bridging gaps

Postby antonia » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:44 am

Deanna, I too have a child with Asperger's. The comprehension part is something that the majority of children with Asperger's struggle with. What is your daughter's learning style? Is she visual, auditory (hearing), tactile, a combination? My son is auditory; he can learn anything if he hears it. The understanding how math works is part of the comprehension component. I have used Jumpstart 2nd grade math which has both visual and auditory input for learning. It has made a good starting point to start to explain the why behind math and lead into the comprehension. Hope this helps a little.
Antonia

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”