Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regulations for Homeschooling Overseas (Fiji)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fijitimes4
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Regulations for Homeschooling Overseas (Fiji) Reply with quote

We live in Fiji and plan to be here for at least five more years. We would like to begin homeschool our kids in January, 2009. I cannot find any information online, nor from various homeschooling organizations with answers to my specific questions. I am hoping somone here can help.

We are CA residents, but if and when we go back to the US, we most likely will not reside in CA. We do have a permanent address there although we are not homeowners in CA and do not pay taxes there.

My question is do I have to report my attendance, tests and any other documentation to the state of CA? Can't I just form my own school and keep all of my records as proof of homeschooling incase I need them in the future? I plan to use Calvert School curriculum which is based in MD I believe. I did contact Calvert School and they suggested I contact the state of CA, which I have, but of course I have not received any answers.

I know two families homeschooling here. One lady I know does not report to any state as she is married to a Fijian citizen and does not plan on leaving Fiji. The other lady I know is reporting to SC but she's lived here for 10 years (or longer) I believe. I just don't know who to contact or where to begin finding the information. There seems to be very little useful information on the net on homeschooling overseas.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may still have an address in CA, but have you officially moved your residence to Fiji for the duration? If so, the law is a little complicated - on one hand, the receiving nation's laws apply for most things, but on the other hand, the sending nation gets jurisdiction for all in-house issues (involving only Americans), which includes homeschooling. Since state and federal jurisdictions end at the border, however, you're basically in limbo - the host nation (Fiji) can't prosecute you over an non-criminal (in the US) offense, but the US can't prosecute you either in Fiji.

Just FYI - if Fiji law were to apply here, mandatory school attendance age is 6-15. But I doubt anyone is going to bother you as long as you're using Calvert, it's internationally accredited.
Fijitimes4
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes, it does seem complicated, which is why I've been confused regarding what to do.

Do you know whom in CA I would contact? Would it be the local school district from the county we moved from, where we still have an address? Really, the only mail we get there now is junk mail, everything else comes here. And bills (like credit cards) have both addresses, so I guess we are living in limbo.

Thank you for your reply.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Regulations for Homeschooling Overseas (Fiji) Reply with quote

Fijitimes4 wrote:
My question is do I have to report my attendance, tests and any other documentation to the state of CA? Can't I just form my own school and keep all of my records as proof of homeschooling incase I need them in the future? I plan to use Calvert School curriculum which is based in MD I believe. I did contact Calvert School and they suggested I contact the state of CA, which I have, but of course I have not received any answers.

Have you talked to HSLDA? I don't know if you can be a member if you live in Fiji but are legal residents of the U.S.

At any rate, if you were to follow CA requirements, you would file a private school affidavit on-line with the state between Oct. 1 and 15. You don't have to report anything. Also, if you were physically living in California, it wouldn't matter that your dc were enrolled with Calvert; you'd still have to file that affidavit, as children must be enrolled in a private school which files an affidavit in the state. Accreditation doesn't matter.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Fijitimes4
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help. No I have not contacted HSLDA but I will. Thank you for the suggestion. I knew about the private school filing in October. I kind of figure that's really all I need to do. By going with Calvert, everything will be recorded and they are internationally recognized, so we should be fine.
nianja
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: which place ? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am also living in Fiji and might start homeschooling next year. We live in Lami near Suva and would love to hear from other homeschooling families. Would you know anyone, is there a place real or virtual where people meet ? Do you live yourself around here ?

In Germany school attendance is compulsory too, so my way to deal with it was to send my kids' registrations home and people there seemed to be satisfied and never asked again. So if your kids are schooling here at the moment it might be worth to have a letter about it. Whenever we are in Germany the kids go to a private school for 2 to 4 weeks, that helps too, to put the officials mind at ease.

Moce Anja
Fijitimes4
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Lautoka so we are not close. I don't know of any organizations for homeschooling here. I have a few friends in town homeschooling so maybe you will meet someone around there who can help you out. It would be good to keep in touch if you start homeschooling because maybe sometime we can meet half way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: