Just thought I’d share this...

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

trace1
User

Just thought I’d share this...

Postby trace1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:24 am

My wife and I will be homeschooling our oldest son who will be 7 in May, we’ve been doing extensive research on the legal requirements for the state in which we live. Also we have been reviewing the many different curriculums available and when we first started we were looking at packaged curriculums that were selling for $300 to $400 dollars. After several searches on many sites I have put together a curriculum that is closely tailored to the state education requirements for a cost of around $85.

Although we haven’t officially begun homeschooling my advice to anyone that is thinking about homeschooling is to do your research and shop around for the best curriculum that you feel suits your needs or desires.
Last edited by trace1 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theodore

It's a trade-off between time and money...

Postby Theodore » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:30 am

Time is money, and vice versa. Some people aren't familiar with the available homeschool materials and don't have time to get familiar, and these people will go out and buy a packaged curriculum. On the other hand, it is possible to shop around and put together a curriculum for next to nothing, but that requires an investment of time. Which way you go depends on whether you have spare time or money.

Bottom line, the packaged curriculums wouldn't sell if someone didn't want them :wink: However, I do think people should attend a support group meeting or two and get feedback from people using different curriculums and methods before making a choice.

bobbinsx5
User

Postby bobbinsx5 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:52 am

The first year we homeschooled we spent nearly $400 on two kids. This year (the first year in three years, long story) we spent about $580 on 5.

Here's the kicker, after buying Social studies and science for four of them,(the youngest is in Kindergarten, so I wasn't too worried about these two subjects for him. I was focusing on Math and reading for him.) I used them for about a month and went to unit studies in those two subjects that I compile myself. I use the internet and the library a lot! We are enjoying learning this way, the kids all say their favorite class is our unit study.

If people can afford the prepackaged, and like them, go for it. For those who can't afford it or don't care for it, there are other ways. I know a lady who is hs four this year, and spent about $200 on all four. It really is a "to each his own" kind of thing.

Bobbie

SOPHIE
User

Homeschool curriculum

Postby SOPHIE » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:58 am

l5hill
User

Postby l5hill » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:00 pm

We have already ordered the Alpha Omega Lifepac packaged curriculum for this year, but I am already learning that my daughter likes a very hands on approach to learning. Can someone suggest something for her?

SOPHIE
User

Hands on approach

Postby SOPHIE » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:41 pm

It depends on how much time you have to devote to the curriculum. You could go with a KONOS type of curriculum, which has more hands on type of activities. Or you can just work with the curriculum you're using and watch for hands on activities that may be recommended as an enhancement to what she is currently studying. Or she may just want to pursue more hands on activities outside of her studies, through a hobby, etc. My daughter is a very hands-on type of student and enjoys the crafts and science experiments that are highlighted in her PACE books, plus she enjoys her own activities that can sometimes enhance what she is learning in her curriculum.

Return to “Getting Started”