Need advice on HS my IEP child in NJ

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Kess
User

Need advice on HS my IEP child in NJ

Postby Kess » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 am

My daughter just started 6th grade and desperately wants to be home schooled. She has had an IEP for the past 2 years. Does anyone know if I can just pull her out of school and discontinue her IEP? I live in NJ and the HS laws are pretty easy here, but I don't know what the laws are about a child who already has an IEP and a parent who wants to discontinue it after the year has started. Do you know if the school is going to give me a hard time because she has an IEP? I really want to HS her without any involvement with the public school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Here is the link to the summary of the law in NJ from the HSLDA site
http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_Jersey.pdf

It looks like you can just pull a child out without notifying them. I would probably tell the teacher and principal though. You might want to join hslda too. It does not look like IEP makes any type of difference.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:20 pm

Regardless of whether you're legally required to notify or not, it's generally a good idea to let your school know before you disappear. It prevents potential problems with them accusing you of truancy, even if you will always win the resulting court case in the end.

Of course, there's a school of thought that says you should never offer more information than you're required to, but...

Kess
User

Postby Kess » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:32 am

Return to “Homeschool Law”