Reporting Requirements For Overseas (Jordan) Americans

If you are homeschooling outside the US, or doing a lot of moving between military bases, share your stories, questions, and tips here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Karonne
User

Reporting Requirements For Overseas (Jordan) Americans

Postby Karonne » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:05 am

Hi Everyone,

We've just started homeschooling a few weeks ago and are americans living in Jordan.

Does anyone know what the regulations are for reporting and other legal issues if we're not residents in the states?

And, when and if we do move back how do we comply with the states requirements? Since we may not have been complying while here.

I haven't been able to find the answer searching through the internet.

Thanks for your insights!

Karonne

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:28 am

Karonne
User

Postby Karonne » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi Theodore,

Thanks for your reply. I've spoken with several other american homeschoolers here and all seem to focus on american regulations. Quite honestly, I'm not sure if Jordan would have the capacity to regulate or would bother with foreigners - well foreigners that don't pose a drain on the economy at least. I'll have to ask one of these mothers since they are with the us embassy.

The state we're considering when we move back is Virginia. We've never lived there, though.

Best,

Karonne

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Easiest way would be to homeschool under the religious exemption. All you have to do is file a "request to acknowledge religious exemption" with the chairman of your local school board. There are no other requirements.

Short of that, you can homeschool without the religious exemption, but there are somewhat more requirements, primarily yearly testing.
http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=VA

Karonne
User

Postby Karonne » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:02 pm

The hslda website sets it out nice and easy to see my options. Very easy in VA.

What if my religion is not connected to an organized church? It seems limited to christians? That's just my reading into VA's regulation. What if we lean more towards Buddhism? I see that VA has enacted the Religious Freedom Act? Is there somewhere I can find a sample letter to help me write up one? I ask so many of these questions because we've been living overseas for so many years (16) that I'm a bit out-of-touch.

And, I assume that I would only need to do this when we do move back. Obviously there'd be no reason beforehand.

If we do decide to go with a distance learning school this coming fall, then I guess there'd be no questions and we'd be covered.

Thanks!

Karonne

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:13 am

The religious exemption should apply equally well to any religion.

gjhopwood
User

Info on Jordan Homeschool Requirements

Postby gjhopwood » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:55 pm

Return to “Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling”