3rd grade history/geography

Discuss Greece or ancient Rome - or maybe the history of the United States.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mamaholly
User

3rd grade history/geography

Postby mamaholly » Wed May 28, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm winging this year rather than using lifepacs. I noticed that the third grade history curriculum covers 10 different states. I'm assuming they are chosen for their geographical interests like mountainous, desert, coastal, and so on. It seems a good time to do U.S. geography and sounds like fun. So what would you study. And what resources do you recommend. Once he masters where the states are, would you head into basic American history or get some more facts about specific states?
Mom to John (8yo) and Hanna (19mo)

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Have you thought about doing notebooking for each of the states. That might be fun.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:45 am

We loved the game The Scrambled States of America. There's a book and a video, too, as well as a second game. Great for learning geography.

I second the lapbooking idea. We planned pretend trips and took some real ones to learn state history, but we didn't do any real indepth study. (classical curriculum here)
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “History”