Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ebay bans teacher edition textbooks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oscar Madison
User

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Ebay bans teacher edition textbooks? Reply with quote

I was reading an article that Ebay is going to stop selling used teacher edition textbooksIs it true?FIf true this needs to be addressed it is wrong and action needs to be taken
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Ebay is discriminating aganst homeschoolers: Reply with quote

A link to the Ebay message:
http://pages.qa.ebay.com/help/policies/teachersedition.html

If you have an Ebay account, you should log in and let them know that they're discriminating against homeschoolers with this ridiculous policy.
judygray842
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still sell your stuff on ebay. You just don't use the words "teacher edition". You woud say TE. For instance: Math grade one lifepac, TE. And people know that means teachers guide.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Ebay is discriminating aganst homeschoolers: Reply with quote

All that means is you won't get your listing flagged by Ebay's automatic scripts, it doesn't mean Ebay allows you to sell teacher's editions. I'm sure you'll still get banned if they catch you at it.
judygray842
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but if you do a search for homeschool textbooks, you will still find a lot of teachers manuals. The ban wasn't intended for homeschool people. It was intended to stop the typical public school 6th grader from bidding on the answers to his math text for the entire year. In that context I agree with the ban. However, I recently had my auction cancelled by ebay, and I wrote them to explain and they really didn't care weather it was homeschool or public school. You have to remember homeschool is a foreign subject to most people. They don't understand that our kids can't really behave that way. Our kids don't do thier school work in private. It's not easy to cheat when Mom is the teacher.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ebay is discriminating aganst homeschoolers: Reply with quote

Hmm. Can you post a quote from their email so we have the official word?
judygray842
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's most of the email:

Subject: Re: EN62827 PI Response to your email concerning eBay's ended listing policies. Received: May-24-06

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write to eBay. My name is Elros and I
appreciate the chance to help you with your concerns today.

I understand your concerns regarding eBay's Teacher's Edition policy.

Since eBay strives to be a level-playing field, all Teacher's Edition
textbooks will be covered under this policy. Unfortunately, home
schooling Teacher's Editions are not exempt from this policy

Concerns were voiced regarding the sale of Teacher's Edition textbooks
on the site; as such eBay has used its discretion to prohibit the sale
of such items. While we do understand that this policy may be upsetting
to those in educational communities, Teacher's Edition textbooks will no
longer be permitted on the site.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter, and
wish you continued success on eBay.

Regards,

Elros
Community Watch Team
eBay Trust & Safety
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like this bans Teacher's Editions period.
judygray842
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it is. But the original reason does make sense. And I do understand it. If there had been an ebay when I was in school, I would have probably tried to get the teachers edition. I was a public school child. But ebay simply doesn't understand how very different it is for homeschool teachers. Cheating doesn't happen at the kitchen table.
sweet_acacia_mom
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: The eBay Ban and How Families Can Respond Reply with quote

The eBay policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/teachersedition.html

The petition if you disagree with this policy:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/te4sale

Here is a group to help families sell their used materials by providing a list of venues and tons of suggestions. The members are very helpful and supportive. We do not endorse any one site over another, we just offer helpful advice and a safe place to discuss your options.

Anyone who has sold on eBay in the past and is looking for some other ideas, please join us:

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/teachers_editions
hadaville
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am disapointed in ebays decision re: TE textbooks. I think you can still use amazon and Craigslist though. We aslo have a homeschool book store locally that will buy your stuff and then you can buy more or take the money. Don't know if they give a fair deal or not.
Heather
binarymagician
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Teacher Edition Ban Reply with quote

I received an email from Ebay today that they had removed a Teacher Key and Solution Key for 9th grade algebra and that they had notified the bidders of the situation. I sent a reply email explaining to them that parents of home schooled students needed these aids in order to provide adequate instruction to their children. They replied that even though the owners of these books might be able to sell them legally, they were standing by their policy not to sell Teacher Editions, Teacher Keys, Test Keys or Quiz Keys because some of the publishers had complained.

After discussing this with my wife and looking over all of the other "Keys" still available on Ebay, I decided to send them another email to let them know that I had 13 items (10 with bids) listed as "packages", (not Teacher or some other "Key") but that there were Test, Teacher and Quiz Keys in the description. I wanted them to tell the bidders (after they removed the listing) that I would list the items again following the Ebay policy (which I can't find).

Sadly, I had already been removed from Ebay. I can't log in, all of my items are off of the site and they haven't responded to my email (nor do they list a phone number to contact them with). This was within 30-45 minutes of their first email.

So, I went back in as a buyer and searched for Teacher Key, Teacher Edition, Test Key and Quiz Key...there's still alot of them there.

This was my first time to try to sell anything on Ebay...didn't go too well. Neutral
Lorren
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a teacher's edition a couple weeks ago... it wasn't listed as a teacher's edition though. They just listed the name of the curriculum and provided a picture of the book. In the small picture you could only tell that it was a teachers edition because of the spiral binding, in the larger picture you could see "teacher's edition" written in small letters in the corner.

I suppose that people will find workarounds like this until they completely crack down and figure out the tricks Confused. Oh well, I guess they'll just lose out on our business.

Kind of a stupid policy considering that anybody can purchase these things at any number of other locations on the internet.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not give us a list of the alternate locations, then Smile
Caprice64
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Other places to buy and sell TE's Reply with quote

A lot of ebay sellers are now using thislittlepiggystayshome.com to sell their teachers editions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: