Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started (PK) - suggestions please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mom2blu,

jill has such good points. here, take my mistake for example.... when my son was 4, i went to a homeschool curriculum fair & purchased the complete preschool package from a vendor (b/c i was naive & thought that's what i was "supposed" to do). so, we struggled through the year doing what we "thought" we were supposed to be doing. we weren't struggling in learning, but it was just a lot of ridiculousness packaged all together w/ a pretty little box. (no, ridiculousness is not a word Razz ) i was determined to get us through all the "nonsense" work that it required. then, i began researching what a preschooler (b/c i have another child coming to that age) & a kindergartener should be learning. the more & more research i did turned up the same results: read quality books, have quality play time together, go for walks, etc. i had stumbled across karen andreola's name & susan schaeffer macauley, & others, which led me to CHARLOTTE MASON. now, i'm not saying that the "charlotte mason" method is for everyone, but upon my researching, it definitely "fit" my son's learning style so much better than the way i had been teaching him. so, that's it for us. i mean, we aren't charlotte mason followers to the exact degree some are, i like to think of us as the MODERN charlotte mason followers.

i hope someone can learn from my mistake: which, incidentally, was that i did not tune in to my son's learning style @ first or do much research. i just took what i "thought" was correct Shocked and the fact that i was excited to begin homeschooling. another point was that @ that time, i didn't have a CLUE as to where i should REALLY begin!!!!!!!

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mom2blu,

You do exactly what you feel your child is ready for. I did exactly what you're planning including hard core curriculum at age 3 with my son. He's now a well adjusted, married, 4th year medical student.

Whether we're reading to our preschoolers, making them healthy foods, playing with them, sending them to baby music class, or doing a workbook sheet, we're all teaching our kids. A specific method you use is almost irrelevant as long as you teach and offer a variety of learning opportunities.

The same parents who criticize a purchased curriculum for a 2 year old might be spending a lot of time working on manners or teaching to put toys away. My son still can't keep his mouth shut while he eats. And he didn't even learn what room the washing machine was in until after he moved away from home. Nonetheless, every family has its priorities. It sounds like you know yours.

Good luck and I'd love to know what goodies you ended up purchasing. Isn't it fun?
alexisminnis
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most on this post. I haven't started the 'structured' homeschooling yet as my guy is still young as well (yet older than yours). But I think that without all the books and structured learning we are still teaching our little ones. I mean, you are the one who is teaching him how to talk right? You taught him how to wave, blow kisses, give hugs etc....you get the point right? To me this is the joy and benefit of homeschooling, we get to teach our children as they are ready.
I mean at this stage just life in general is a learning experience for them...they are sponges absorbing EVERYTHING. "Look, a bird...a plane..."
Anyways, I'm sure you get my point...I hope this was a little bit useful Smile
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill, my son LOVED the book Going to Sleep on the Farm.

Now that you've mentioned it, I am trying to remember if we still have it around so I can read it to my younger ones. Great book!

Minniewannabee, I think you are totally right that each family is different and there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing a curriculum for a preschooler. I just hate to see young moms get overwhelmed with feeling like they "should" do certain things, and then feeling like a failure if they don't achieve it.

We have to find balance, and also make sure we are staying in tune with our children's needs and moving at their pace.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that your list sounds good and if you have the money to start that early then go for it. That being said, and since everyone else is putting in their 2 cents worth, here is my experience and opinion...I think each child is different as are the families they are raised in. I have a 9month old and I don't plan on starting any structured education until he is 6/7 and in the 1st grade. Up until that point we will learn through fun, games, and life experiences. We will read, learn our numbers, colors, shapes, letters and their sounds, and things like that. My older kids never went to preschool but because everything in life was a learning experience they never lacked for the knowledge needed to succeed in school. I just really felt like they are only young once and needed to stay that way as long as possible and even now I let them be kids (they will be 14, 10, and 1 this fall/winter). In my opinion today everyone pushes their kids to grow up to fast. I wanted mine to stay a kid as long as possible. But that is my family...yours is different, so the decision you make is based on a different set of criteria.

As far as the cost...I spend around $100 a year per child for their books and supplies. Next year it will get cheaper though because my daughter will finally start using my sons old stuff. And for my youngest I will already have everything so all I will have to buy is paper. I saved all my kids books to pass down to the younger ones. However, I use all Christian curriculum, which seems to be easy to find, and I only buy used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: