Send your kids for part of the day to public school?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Juloyes
User

Send your kids for part of the day to public school?

Postby Juloyes » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:26 am

Julie

elliemaejune
User

Re: Send your kids for part of the day to public school?

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Juloyes
User

Postby Juloyes » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Julie

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:02 am

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:54 am

Juloyes
User

Postby Juloyes » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:25 am

Julie

zozomom
User

Postby zozomom » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:47 pm

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:49 pm

For me, it would greatly depend on what I know of the school and the teachers there. I have heard many stories of the local public schools around here (from Christian teachers who I know), and I would not send my children to those schools, no matter what the class is. The things that those teachers put up with--and some of them seem resigned to it, as if they don't have a choice (I can't mention specifics because I want to remain anonymous, but believe me, they can do better...drives me crazy to hear this stuff). Ok, I'll mention one...an elementary school's teachers were given a survey to fill out about the school, and although the teachers didn't like the principal (according to the teacher who told me this story), they still rated him "excellent" even though the surveys were anonymous. They were so "afraid" they would be identified they didn't dare say anything about him. This was their chance to make a change at that school! Crazy. So no, I wouldn't send my kids to a public school in my area for anything.

bbaron312
User

Postby bbaron312 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 am

I know that public school can provide positive as well as negative social settings but academically in the future (High School), I would consider the part time or even full time enrollment just for the benefit of AP credit courses. I was home schooled all my life and then enrolled in college. With out the AP credit, I found that I was behind in credits as compared to other students my same age. Some students came in with around 30 credits already so they are graduating a whole year before me even though I am taking summer classes as well. I know it is a long time in the future but I felt it was something worth mentioning.
-Brandon
Join me at Etutor.com!

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:23 pm

There are oportunities other than AP courses for homeschoolers to get college credit. There are CLEP tests that you can take or some kids take course at the local comunity college while they are jrs and srs in high school. Our district even allows kids to take classes at two very good 4 year schools for free jr and sr year (yes even homeschoolers can participate). You just need to evaluate the particular district, reasons for homeschooling and your particular family. All the kids I know who have been homeschooled are doing so much better in college than their ps freinds. They are all ahead of where they "should" be. It really just depends on the kid.

bippycorn
User

Postby bippycorn » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:31 am

Juloys, if its a small town then i would give it a try as i have personally had good experiences with smalltown schools. It usually becomes a big problem when the amount of students increase to an unmanagable amount that the teacher cant give enough attention to each student or control the other students.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”