Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone refer me a good home school program for reading?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillian
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Can anyone refer me a good home school program for reading? Reply with quote

I am searching for the Good home school program. For Math, I found the Saxon Math.

But for Language English reading, writing program, I have no idea, Can anyone refer me a Good home School English reading, writing?

Thanks so much!
mark_egp
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Begin with simple reading and counting when they are very young, add a little each year as the child grows, and they will simply thrive. Read to your children regularly. As they pick up an interest in the letters and words, you can start a specific reading curriculum. We use Sing, Spell, Read, and Write. Go here for more details:
http://www.everygoodpath.net/HowToStartHomeschooling

For language arts beyond this, we've used Learning Language Arts Through Literature. More details here:
http://www.everygoodpath.net/search/node/%22learning+language+arts%22
retromom
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the old D and Jane books from the 1940's, 50's, or 60's. My son has aspergers syndrom and he was bored with any reading material I put in front of him, except D and Jane books. He's barely at a 3 letter word reading level and he went right to reading D an Jane. You can find them in the library or ebay.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Writing Strands for Language Arts, with trouble spots worked on in Critical Thinking Co. workbooks. WS is an inclusive program, so they learn spelling, grammar, etc. as they write. Sometimes it works wonderfully, other times (like tricky punctuation rules), we resort to a little extra practice in a workbook.

For reading we use library books.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that really likes alphabet island. if your child likes stories and remembers things better when there is a story with it, you might want to check it out.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
roma
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: depends on the age of the child but: Reply with quote

1. for early readers I like "Ring Around the Phonics". you can purchase it on line, but if you go to http://www.read-phonics.com , and go to their contact page you can order the whole program at a discount. Books and everything is included.

2. For spelling I like Sequential Spelling.

3. If your math program is working stay with it. But I like "Mathew See"
DanielEdwards
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also searching for the home school for the mathematics and physics.if you have any idea please let me know.
JoeSwimmer
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: I would like that as well. Reply with quote

Surprised
alanae
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Phonics Pathways with my 4yr old son and having GREAT success! It teaches the basics of phonics and decoding as well as the rules of the English language. The benefit is he is also learning to write and spell as we go through the program.

For Math I like Alpha Omega Horizons. It's a spiral curriculum that my son finds fun and interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: