Wooing Homschoolers to PS

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momom
User

Wooing Homschoolers to PS

Postby momom » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:16 am

Mark

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:17 pm

you know... the homeschoolers out here asked for something where
we could do part time things.
They told us no.

Their loss.

Mark

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:24 am

Jill

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:36 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:21 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Veritas
User

Sometimes a good options, other times not.

Postby Veritas » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:54 am

For some programs, it really is about the dollar. Sometimes it is a program that is owned by a big corporation. Other times it is the school district trying to get money back into the program.

As for people using the programs, they need to do what is right for them. Some programs are better than others, so do shop around. Many will let homeschoolers use bits and pieces of a program. For example, I can let my daughter take a pre-vet tech 1/2 day program through the local school district; they get some funding, she gets a pretty good education in an area of my own ignorance... it's a win-win. In this case.

I have had countless conversations with districts, due to my line of work, and many of them are looking for the quickest and cheapest way to "just add water" create a program for online and/or "homeschool" students. I have repeatedly pointed out that the same kids who are not going to be successful in the regular program are not going to do well in that canned program they are slapping together. Some kids who would do well in the regular program might switch to get away from the negative social aspects, but that's about it.

As for the homeschool programs, it really varies from place to place, and the value of the program can be impacted on how strong the parents are. Also, there is a group who are "accidental homeschoolers" where it really wasn't on their "to do list" to become homeschoolers, but for one reason or another, here they are. Sometimes a public school group can help; I recently visited one that was started by, and is still ran by, a homeschooling dad. It is very student-centered and is a program that offers resources, classes or workshops, a place for parents to meet, a resource room with supplies... and he keeps the program really small to maintain that certain quality.

I have also seen many programs that cause me to clench my jaw in frustration... they just... don't...get...it!

I think the whole system will change. At least, that is what I keep telling myself. Hoping!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
~K-12 accredited, online & offline, personalized to learning styles, interests, goals:
http://www.cmacademy.org
http://www.achieveonline.org

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:03 am

Maybe if they make the same effort to use the money they have more wisely they would not have the time or have a need to try to get more students.

Just a thought....

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Government entities score themselves according to the size of their budgets. The bigger the budget, the bigger the staff and the more power they weild. In this case, there's just a financial incentive to gain more students, so obviously the schools are going to get as creative as necessary to achieve this goal.

Personally, I think there should be diminishing returns for additional students beyond a certain number per school. Smaller schools produce better results (test scores inversely relate to class size and by extension school size), therefore the financial incentive should be to split large schools into smaller ones.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:30 am

bippycorn
User

Postby bippycorn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:35 am

jessicaburkhart
User

Postby jessicaburkhart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:49 pm

Wow. I've never heard of anything like that!
http://jessicaburkhart.blogspot.com

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”