How do I teach on bad days?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

andra
User

How do I teach on bad days?

Postby andra » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 am

In a few months, my family will be relocating and we will be pulling our children out of public school to homeschool.
We are relocating so my husband and I can finish our degrees and I would like to go on to get my Masters.
I had homeschooled my children in K & 1st grades, but had to quit due to poor health and having sooooo many doctor appointments.
I have a host of health problems, but the most dibilitating are Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. It had gotten better for a while, but it is really bad right now. Some days the exhaustion is overwhelming, and by evening, I can hardly walk. :cry:
Am I biting off more than I can chew?
Does anyone have any tips on how to homeschool from bed, feeling brainless? :?:
I do so good on somedays and wonder why I even worry about it, but then on bad days I am overcome with doubt about whether I can give my kids the education they need.

Any advice or ideas would be very welcomed!
Andra

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:00 am

I am so sorry that you are struggling :( . I have no diagnosis but am in the "multitude of doctor's appt." phase. Whatever is ailing me, is not as debilitating as what you are experiencing. So, I just wanted to express my sincere sympathy and to assure you that I am ABSOLUTELY positive that others on this forum are successfully hsing with severe illnesses. Hopefully, they will be along shortly with some encouragement and advice.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:32 am

My only advice to you, is to enjoy the flexibility of homeschooling. If you can't teach one day, have the children do what they can and when you are feeling better do more. DON"T feel guilty about not being able to do things all the time. It will only make things worse. Enjoy the flexibility.

I too pray that you feel better and you have my hope and prayers for you future and healing.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

ArkansasHomeschooler
User

Postby ArkansasHomeschooler » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:30 am

Visit--- http://christianbooksandbibles.weebly.com ---Christian Books and Bibles for my slowly growing blog and full bookstore.

andra
User

Postby andra » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:08 pm

Thank you all for your encouragement and tips.

I will look into a program that can be done with out as much teacher direction.
I am very fortunate that my children love to learn, and many times will do projects on thier own that are very impressive.
I think I need to retrain myself to realize that home school isn't just public school at home, and that they will be educated no matter how often I might not feel well.

We are all getting quite excited about homeschooling.
Andra

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

daymin123
User

Postby daymin123 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:23 am

cwilsey
User

Take It One Day at a Time

Postby cwilsey » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:26 pm

emtswife
User

Postby emtswife » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:11 am

Andra,
I can sympathize with you because I also have FM/CF. I have the same questions and guilty feelings that you are having. The first thing that you have to remember is that "life" can be educational. A few of the things that I have learned is that just because you are not sitting down and "actively" teaching your child does not mean that they can't learn. On "bad" days, I may give my daughter some worksheets, that I know she can do on her own. It may be math that I know she needs to practice, a fun art project or whatever, just things that will not need your attention. I come up with ideas on "good" days, so I will be prepared for the bad days. As another poster said, you can watch educational videos with/without them. There are lots of websites that have them for free, although I am not coming up with them right now. Maybe other posters can help me out there. Just keep in mind that you are not going to "ruin" your child if you can't teach them something for a day or two. I believe the benefits of homeschooling will far outweigh the "bad" days, in the long run. Good luck! And you can PM me if you ever just need someone to talk to!

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 am

My 15 year old son has been sick for many years. The past 2 years he has been very ill with several new diagnoses. Schooling has been difficult. He can learn just fine, but is too sick to concentrate. I am hopeful next school year, his many conditions will be under better control. Anyway, for now, I joined Netflix to rent DVD's which are easier to tolerate when he feels lousy, which is most of the time. I just checked out Teachingwithmovies.com. This is a possibility. Thank you
Any other suggestions for learning when you feel lousy? Any software that is educational, engaging, and fun?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Well, history is fairly easy, there are endless numbers of historical movies (esp. war movies) to choose from. You can probably also find movies or TV shows for most science topics. Reading, language arts, and spelling will all come naturally, assuming he does sufficient reading. That still leaves writing and math, however, which he won't be able to learn passively or through computer software. He can certainly use a computer to type his essays (I do very little writing by hand myself), but feedback from a human being is necessary, and for math there's still nothing that beats working out textbook problems on paper. Not all learning will necessarily be fun, I'm afraid.

On a personal note, I have relatively small lung capacity and tend towards lung infections myself, so I know what it's like to feel bad (certainly in the mornings) and have to stay in my room most of the time. If I may ask, what health condition(s) does your son have, and what's his weight at right now? I was at my worst point when I had a series of lung infections and my weight dropped under 100 pounds, but now that I'm up over 145, things don't affect me quite so badly.

Lorelei Sieja
User

Homeschooling is a life style, not hours on a clock

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:47 am

I homeschooled my four children from 1988 until 2004. It took me a while to "find my stride". The first year we schooled every day the public school met, and took days off when public school was off. But I realized later that this schedule was arbitrary. It didn't matter if I schooled on Monday or Saturday, or if I schooled all summer long and took December off. I only had to log a certain number of days of school to meet the federal requirements.

My kids were soon performing way above grade level, which is quite common for homeschooled kids, even if they aren't particularly gifted. Part of this is because the overall education of our nation has dropped in the last 100 years, but also because one-on-one tutoring is ALWAYS better than classroom instruction.

Anyway, to get to the point, one year I lost a child in childbirth. It had been an extremely stressful year. We'd discovered early in my pregnancy that the infant was not going to survive long after birth. He was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 - a more severe birth defect than Down's Syndrome, which is also called Trisomy 21. My son would be severely retarded, but have multiple health defects, making survival unlikely. The doctor recommended inducing labor immediately, holding a funeral, and getting on with our lives. The community was outraged, as this amounted to abortion. I didn't know what to do, but prayed about it. Eventually, the doctor was forbidden to to the procedure, and recommended that I go out of state. I decided to do nothing, but to carry my son and pray for a miracle.

I got a partial miracle. I prayed that the omphalacele would be gone. It went away. (This is a deformity of the umbilicle cord, the first sign of a birth defect seen in the ultrasound). But my son was not healed. He still died moments before birth.

I went into a severe depression. Just getting out of bed in the morning was challenging. I was tired all the time, but had difficulty sleeping. My blood pressure was high, my energy level was low, and my health was poor. We tried to homeschool, but often we got nothing done.

We also moved in this period. Not far, just a few miles, but the home we had been renting was sub-standard and unsafe. But a move is still difficult, even when you're healthy.

Well, I began to realize a few things.

1. There was a reason for my son Adam. God doesn't make mistakes. I might not ever understand it, but there was a lesson to learn from this. Heaven became more real to me. I would never see my son again unless I could join him in Heaven. I'd better make sure that I was on the right track, and bring all of my children along, too. After all, my ultimate goal was not raising geniuses, but raising godly children.

2. What was really important: I wanted my children to be kind, and considerate. I wanted to cover the real three "r's": Responsiblility, Resourcefulness, and Respect.

3. No one was going to know if I didn't do school "today". Or tomorrow. My kids could pass a standardized test for their grade level even if I didn't school at all for a year.

4. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff. As far as schooling goes, that is.

So I'd agree with the other people who've suggested that you just don't school on the "bad" days. But I'd take it a step farther. Don't school on bad days, and Don't Feel Guilty about it! Just by homeschooling, you are giving your children a great gift. No doubt they are doing better than they would have in public school. Pat yourself on the back, and relax. Enjoy your children. I'm so sorry that you must suffer with this debilitating illness, but this too is part of God's ultimate plan. There must be something your children can learn from this. Perhaps they will learn more independence, or greater compassion. Relax, and love them. And may God bless you and yours.

Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”