How To Form A Local Support Group

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

brande30260
User

How To Form A Local Support Group

Postby brande30260 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:56 pm

I am home schooling and would very much like to start a local support group. We have a few in the area, but none of them are up to date or seem to not have any involvement what so ever.

Can someone please suggest to me the best way to get some started.

I am very active in the community and know that this could be a wonderful thing for our community.

Thanks!
Brande Bradford
Home School Mom

riccalo
User

Postby riccalo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:28 pm

brande30260,
This website (linked below) may be able to help you out. It has several links to different articles regarding starting up a home-school support group.

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/web ... tStart.htm

Good luck to you. :)

-Erica

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:01 am

Here's some additional information about Starting a Homeschool Support Group.

I think the most important thing is to decide what type of group you want. Stuctured vs. Unstructured. Religions vs. Non Religious. How often do you want to meet? What type of activities you want to do? and so on. It is really important for all of the members to be on the same page in order to reduce potential conflict.

The next most important thing is getting members, but since you're active in the community, you'll be great at that. You can start by talking to all your homeschool friends and posting flyers at the library and other places where moms hang out.

Set a date, time and location for your first meeting, and spend time at that meeting talking about what the interested parties want the group to be like and who will take responsibility for what. I would advise starting small with just 1 or 2 activities and expand as the group grows.

My friend and I started a community book club that is still going 6 years later. It is funny how a little idea can just take off. Have fun!

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:35 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:56 am

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:10 pm

I started a group in my area because there just weren't any we could find and I just jumped in head first. I started a yahoo group to keep everyone up to date and just started with myself and a couple of other people I knew. We meet about once a month and keep in contact with each other through the group. We also use the group to schedule field trips let each other know of happenings around the state that could be of interest. I started it last school year so it has been less than a year and we have around 30 members. Although most of the members are religious are religious we don't claim to have any religious affiliations so anyone is welcome and we have found that that was a smart way to set it up. I just simply asked that everyone respect each other and that no on uses fowl language. So far no one has had any complaints and we have people who are and are not religious in the group. Good luck with your group. Just jump right in you'll be fine!

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:42 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:51 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:10 am

Jazzy, I didn't mean to say that what you were saying was wrong. I just wanted to mention that we shouldn't forget that sometimes just being homeschoolers is enough. You are absolutely right in that some people are looking for something specific and that is fine. I just didn't want people to feel they HAD to choose a type or culture of Homeschool group when they were starting.

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:12 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 am

don't worry we're good, 8) 8)

emilysmom97
User

support groups

Postby emilysmom97 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:23 am

i am very interested in being in a group, but i am unsure of whether i want to start a group.. i live in rural pennsylvania, so not much available.i feel like a follower not a leader. do you think you have to have the contacts, money, resources, to start one?

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:27 pm

absolutely! you don't need much, just a few people that want to get together with you that have something in common like homeschooling. You don't need resources, the only contact I had was a key to the town hall that we use in the winter and on rainy days. We also started a public yahoo group (very easy) so others would know what we were doing. You don't have to be a leader, I hardly even go any more due to scheduling on my part and others have taken it over. Just try, it can't hurt.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:08 am

Return to “Getting Started”