Ebay bans teacher edition textbooks?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Oscar Madison
User

Ebay bans teacher edition textbooks?

Postby Oscar Madison » Fri May 26, 2006 4:17 pm

Theodore

Ebay is discriminating aganst homeschoolers:

Postby Theodore » Fri May 26, 2006 5:15 pm

A link to the Ebay message:
http://pages.qa.ebay.com/help/policies/ ... ition.html

If you have an Ebay account, you should log in and let them know that they're discriminating against homeschoolers with this ridiculous policy.

judygray842
User

Postby judygray842 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:43 pm

You can still sell your stuff on ebay. You just don't use the words "teacher edition". You woud say TE. For instance: Math grade one lifepac, TE. And people know that means teachers guide.
That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

Theodore

Ebay is discriminating aganst homeschoolers:

Postby Theodore » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:05 pm

All that means is you won't get your listing flagged by Ebay's automatic scripts, it doesn't mean Ebay allows you to sell teacher's editions. I'm sure you'll still get banned if they catch you at it.

judygray842
User

Postby judygray842 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:36 am

Right, but if you do a search for homeschool textbooks, you will still find a lot of teachers manuals. The ban wasn't intended for homeschool people. It was intended to stop the typical public school 6th grader from bidding on the answers to his math text for the entire year. In that context I agree with the ban. However, I recently had my auction cancelled by ebay, and I wrote them to explain and they really didn't care weather it was homeschool or public school. You have to remember homeschool is a foreign subject to most people. They don't understand that our kids can't really behave that way. Our kids don't do thier school work in private. It's not easy to cheat when Mom is the teacher.

Theodore

Re: Ebay is discriminating aganst homeschoolers:

Postby Theodore » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:01 pm

judygray842
User

Postby judygray842 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:44 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:07 am

judygray842
User

Postby judygray842 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:35 am

sweet_acacia_mom
User

The eBay Ban and How Families Can Respond

Postby sweet_acacia_mom » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:27 pm

The eBay policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/tea ... ition.html

The petition if you disagree with this policy:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/te4sale

Here is a group to help families sell their used materials by providing a list of venues and tons of suggestions. The members are very helpful and supportive. We do not endorse any one site over another, we just offer helpful advice and a safe place to discuss your options.

Anyone who has sold on eBay in the past and is looking for some other ideas, please join us:

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/teachers_editions
*~Sweet_Acacia_Mom~*

hadaville
User

Postby hadaville » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:38 pm

I am disapointed in ebays decision re: TE textbooks. I think you can still use amazon and Craigslist though. We aslo have a homeschool book store locally that will buy your stuff and then you can buy more or take the money. Don't know if they give a fair deal or not.
Heather

binarymagician
User

Teacher Edition Ban

Postby binarymagician » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:36 pm

I received an email from Ebay today that they had removed a Teacher Key and Solution Key for 9th grade algebra and that they had notified the bidders of the situation. I sent a reply email explaining to them that parents of home schooled students needed these aids in order to provide adequate instruction to their children. They replied that even though the owners of these books might be able to sell them legally, they were standing by their policy not to sell Teacher Editions, Teacher Keys, Test Keys or Quiz Keys because some of the publishers had complained.

After discussing this with my wife and looking over all of the other "Keys" still available on Ebay, I decided to send them another email to let them know that I had 13 items (10 with bids) listed as "packages", (not Teacher or some other "Key") but that there were Test, Teacher and Quiz Keys in the description. I wanted them to tell the bidders (after they removed the listing) that I would list the items again following the Ebay policy (which I can't find).

Sadly, I had already been removed from Ebay. I can't log in, all of my items are off of the site and they haven't responded to my email (nor do they list a phone number to contact them with). This was within 30-45 minutes of their first email.

So, I went back in as a buyer and searched for Teacher Key, Teacher Edition, Test Key and Quiz Key...there's still alot of them there.

This was my first time to try to sell anything on Ebay...didn't go too well. :|

Lorren
User

Postby Lorren » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:30 pm

I bought a teacher's edition a couple weeks ago... it wasn't listed as a teacher's edition though. They just listed the name of the curriculum and provided a picture of the book. In the small picture you could only tell that it was a teachers edition because of the spiral binding, in the larger picture you could see "teacher's edition" written in small letters in the corner.

I suppose that people will find workarounds like this until they completely crack down and figure out the tricks :?. Oh well, I guess they'll just lose out on our business.

Kind of a stupid policy considering that anybody can purchase these things at any number of other locations on the internet.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:35 am

Why not give us a list of the alternate locations, then :)

Caprice64
User

Other places to buy and sell TE's

Postby Caprice64 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:47 pm

A lot of ebay sellers are now using thislittlepiggystayshome.com to sell their teachers editions.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”