To the English Homeschooling Family outside Seville

If you are homeschooling outside the US, or doing a lot of moving between military bases, share your stories, questions, and tips here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jimena
User

To the English Homeschooling Family outside Seville

Postby jimena » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:05 pm

I saw your question about homeschooling on the old forum.
Technically, homeschooling is not illegal in Spain... the Constitution says that parents are entitled to educate their child as they best see fit, according to their moral and/or religious beliefs, or something to that effect.
There is a legal Spanish homeschooling group- sorry, I can´t think of the name right now, but they should be able to help guide you in the right direction.
If you want to, email me tommorrow and I´ll try to have the name of the association for you by then.
´Got to run now, ´will have more time tom.
BTW, we live in a town called Jimena de la Frontera, about 1/2 up in the hills from Gibraltar.
´Hope this helps,
Elizabeth

Theodore

This Spanish group may be able to help as well:

Postby Theodore » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:31 pm

I don't know if this is the homeschool group you're talking about or not, but it may be able to help:

Association for Freedom in Education (ALE)
Asociación para la Libre Educación

C/ Raval, 43. 08740-Piera, Barcelona, Spain
Email: educacionlibre@educacionlibre.org
http://www.educacionlibre.org
A Spanish association that links families and individuals who believe that homeschooling is a responsible and adequate option for their children's education. Our objectives include the formation of a family support network, and the explicit acknowledgement of this option by the administrative authorities, as happens in countries of Europe and the world.

This is from our Spain homeschool groups page:
http://www.home-school.com/groups/spain.html

If you know of other Spanish homeschool groups, feel free to submit them!
http://www.home-school.com/groups/add.php?spain

jimena
User

Re: This Spanish group may be able to help as well:

Postby jimena » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:44 am

thomas
User

homeschooling in Gibraltar

Postby thomas » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:23 am

Do you know whether homeschooling is allowed in Gibraltar?

SallyBees
User

Postby SallyBees » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:03 am

I would also like to know this, we are a military family who is completely disallusioned with the local school (SCE) which is a shame as when we were in Cyprus it was excellent.
Here is Gibraltar it is not so (I won't go into details). I assume that with Service Childrens Education, we come under the England/Wales education banner and that it would not be a problem. My children do outside of school activites that cover a lot anyway - Stagecoach (Drama, Dance and Singing), swimming, Brownies/Rainbows/Guides etc and I would ideally like them to do music if they choose to. They excel at English, maths, science. I do find that with moving around a lot they are covering the same things repeatedly.
I know that I would have loved the chance to follow my own interests education wise when I was younger and often wonder where I would be now if I had been able to do the 'options' I chose.
I now find that I am doing Open University courses to make up on it. I love it and study at a pace that is comfortable for me.
Sally x

Return to “Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling”