math u see question

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

mamaholly
User

math u see question

Postby mamaholly » Wed May 28, 2008 12:17 pm

I'm going to get MUS for my third grader. He doesn't have his facts cold so I was going to start with alpha. Is that what you would recommend? I'm guessing it'll go faster than normal as we catch up to his actual skill level. How much time would you recommend devoting to it during catching up and then at his level of understanding? Do you do yours based on how much you complete in a setting or how much time? I'm thinking four days a week...
Mom to John (8yo) and Hanna (19mo)

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:44 am

Jo from Australia

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:19 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

2bighogs
User

Postby 2bighogs » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi! I've been using MUS for my daughter for a year now. We love it! She was in public school from K-4th grade. She has struggled in math for most of those years. She excelled in multiplication in 3rd grade and she understood a lot of the algebraic concepts in 4th grade, but she could barely subtract. When I pulled her out of public school after 4th grade, we started all the way back at Beta. My recommendation as far as pace to you is, follow his lead. It took my daughter just a few months to finish Beta, then she zipped through Gamma (remember, she was great at multiplication already! I probably could have skipped this book but I'm glad I didn't) and took about 6 months to finish Delta, then we slowed way down and took our time with Epsilon since most of it was new material to her. We have just finished our 5th grade year and she has about a month left in Epsilon (we'll pick back up in August), then she will be "caught up" to her public schooled counterparts.

Return to “Math”