Help!

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

sandichelle
User

Help!

Postby sandichelle » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:23 pm

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:18 pm

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:27 pm

I agree that we need a little more information to help with the schooling part.

In regards to discipline, someone gave me the book The Strong Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson some 25+ years ago. It worked well then and it still works now.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:04 am

I really think you'd benefit from the books Kids Are Worth It! by Barbara Coloroso and Punished By Rewards by Alfie Kohn. Both are great and do not use the traditional aspect of punitive discipline to teach, or discipline a child. We've been using the theory that everyone is in charge of him/herself and deserves respect just for being for several years now and I love the way our family responds to each other.

As far as the curriculum, it could be that it's not a good fit for your dd's learning style. What does she like to do on her off time? Using the activities she chooses as a basis for the way you teach can help you get further. If all else, Maria Montessori believed that for a child to learn, as many senses as possible, or the whole child, needed to be involved. That is why so many montessori materials are hands on, color coded, scented, textured, etc. Even flash cards are done in three parts - the picture and the word/definition seperately, and then a control card of the two together for the child to check his or her work. A lot of independent, self correcting activities make up the school curriculum.
And to go even further, the premise behind my son's math curriculum, Math U See, says that for a child to learn, he must see it, hear it, do it, and TEACH it. Giving the information back and guiding someone else through the steps helps it stick in our own heads.

You'll get through this. (((hugs)))
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

sandichelle
User

More Information----

Postby sandichelle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:48 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:37 pm

My 10 ds has what is called a working memory disorder, it sounds a lot like what you were describing in your dd. When I teach adding, he forgets subtracting, when I teach division he has already forgotten multiplying. What I have found works the best is teaching to his learning style really heavily and not teaching in any sort of order, even though it seems strange.

His learning style is very hands on so we do a lot of math that is life applicable. He is great at graphs and measuring for instance. We are learning to memorize all the multiplication tables, we do this by using post it notes and he has to memorize three a day, (sometimes it takes more than one day) These are not in any order, because he would get them all messed up in his head if we did it in order.

You might want to look into it more and see what else you can find out about it. Just don't stress out about it. Find out what her interests are and delve into them, don't expect her to remember everything if her mind can't file it all, it will only make you and her frustrated.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 pm

It could also be a maturity level thing. My son couldn't remember things either. I was so frustrated but then one day he could! So you just never know.

fallenstar
User

Postby fallenstar » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:54 pm

My sister was like that. What helped was being able to see the whole process, learning the why as well as the how, and speaking it out loud. It really helped her a lot.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”