BookIt!

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ceres
User

BookIt!

Postby Ceres » Thu May 22, 2008 8:44 am

This is a reading program in conjunction with Pizza Hut. I am passing it along because they allow homeschoolers to enroll and participate. It makes sense to support those who support us.

http://www.bookitprogram.com/enrollment/individual_hs.asp

There is also a summer reading program that looks like fun:

http://www.bookitprogram.com/parents/brainfood.asp
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu May 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Thank you for sharing! We have participated in the one for the school year. I did not realize there was one designed for summer reading.

Emerging Dad
User

Postby Emerging Dad » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:54 pm

That program is still around? I ate a lot of pizza through it.
I'm a nice enough guy, and if I say something hurtful I probably didn't mean it that way.

Semper Reformanda!

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks for the link! My DD is excited about this. :D

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:57 pm

Does anyone know if Pizza Hut is flexible on the date/age requirement? For example, my daughter's birthday falls one month past Ohio's date for starting school (age 5 by Sept. 30), but she'll be starting kindergarten here at home that fall anyway.

Another example would be if you live in a state that has a later cut-off date, such as Michigan with their Dec. 1 cut-off. Pizza Hut says age 5 by September to participate in Book-It.

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 am

gardening momma wrote:Does anyone know if Pizza Hut is flexible on the date/age requirement? For example, my daughter's birthday falls one month past Ohio's date for starting school (age 5 by Sept. 30), but she'll be starting kindergarten here at home that fall anyway.

Another example would be if you live in a state that has a later cut-off date, such as Michigan with their Dec. 1 cut-off. Pizza Hut says age 5 by September to participate in Book-It.

Not sure. Unless they ask for child's DOB on the enrollment forms or something such as that.
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

chris629
User

Postby chris629 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks for this info! We will be starting K curriculum with my son who will be 5 in Aug so I just figured he would be considered K this yr anyway.
Christina-32 Jason-34
Sean-4
Josh-2
Abbi-b12/05 d 4/08/07

Glottis
User

Postby Glottis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:25 pm

oh i read about this months ago, and i just think that it's wonderful that pizza hut is concerned about getting the children to love reading! the reading program is on a worldwide scale right? but them allowing homeschoolers to participate just happened recently?

fyi... the second link does not work...

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:05 pm

Glottis wrote:oh i read about this months ago, and i just think that it's wonderful that pizza hut is concerned about getting the children to love reading! the reading program is on a worldwide scale right? but them allowing homeschoolers to participate just happened recently?

fyi... the second link does not work...

My younger brother did Book It when he was in elementary school. (That was in the late 80's. So it's been around for a while). I think I remember reading on Book It's site the year the program started--it would have been just about the time that I became to old to qualify.

And the second link was to the summer reading program, which is probably over now. Next spring look it up.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”