Subway Snubs Homeschoolers in Writing Contest

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jessicaparnell
User

Subway Snubs Homeschoolers in Writing Contest

Postby jessicaparnell » Tue May 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Apparently the fact that homeschoolers are proving to out do their counterparts in spelling bees, geography bees and math competitions makes them ineligible to enter Subway’s creative writing contest designed for school aged children.

Now I know that homeschoolers do tend to sound more intelligent than their chronological age, but that does not change the fact that they are school-aged? :-)

Seriously though, Subway’s creative writing contest does specifically exclude homeschoolers and this exclusion can be interpreted one of two ways . . .

Either Subway believes:

That homeschoolers are more creative and educated than other school aged children and therefore have an unfair advantage.
OR
That homeschoolers are not as creative and educated and therefore they do not wish to hear from them (can’t imagine any educated person believing this one).
Whether either of these two interpretations are valid, the fact is Subway’s decision to exclude homeschoolers is an affront to the homeschool community and should not be ignored.

Their claim, I am sure, is that they decided to exclude homeschoolers because the grand prize is $5000 of athletic equipment for the child’s school.

Subway, may I suggest that since homeschoolers do tend to be strong supporters of their community and heavily involved in community service, they could easily find a good home for the promised athletic equipment?

Next time you decide to run a contest, consider the ramifications of excluding over two million school aged children!

Many are calling for a boycott of Subway; however, I would add that we also need to make our voices heard. Click http://www.subway.com/Applications/CustService/frmCustomerService.aspx to let Subway know how offensive they have been.

Or click here http://www.subwayfreshbuzz.com/kids/contest.aspx to enter the contest anyway.

But remember:

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Contest is open only to legal residents of the Untied (sic) States who are currently over the age of 18 and have children who attend elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted.

. . . so if you do win, you may have to forfeit the prize.

But wouldn’t it be something if the top three selections were written by homeschoolers?

That would put them in an interesting spot wouldn’t it?

Please leave a comment and let others know.
Jessica L. Parnell: http://jessica-parnell.com
Bridgeway Homeschool Academy: http://homeschoolacademy.com

abjennings
User

Postby abjennings » Tue May 27, 2008 8:33 pm

You know,..I don't get it. Subway could have left out the "no homeschools accepted part." But I saw it at the bottom of the application. Ridiculous and I would love to hear their reason why. Statistically, a homeschooler probably would not have won. But Subway has really opened a can of worms with this one. I will have to digest the info and respond to Subway later.

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Wed May 28, 2008 12:16 pm

You might be interested to know that Scholastic Books is also involved with this contest.
Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

MissGrace:-)
User

Postby MissGrace:-) » Thu May 29, 2008 10:24 am

I got an e-lert from HSLDA and it said that subway apologized already 8) yay!
I bet its because a homeschooler would've beat the other kids. :D
--
:-) Grayze

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Thu May 29, 2008 12:59 pm

Yeah, they apologized, but still do not allow homeschoolers to participate. A previous poster (sorry, don't remember who it was) raised a valid point that the athletic equipment could be donated to the community. I would think that Subway could stipulate that if a homeschooler won, that the equipment would have to go to the student's local community.

It's like a kid saying "I'm sorry" only because they have to, and to get out of trouble, not because they mean it. Don't be fooled by Subway's "apology"--go ahead and write to them and protest because they're still not letting homeschoolers in. Their "next contest" that they say will encourage homeschoolers to join does nothing for this current offense.

MissGrace:-)
User

Postby MissGrace:-) » Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 pm

very true :) you have a point
--

:-) Grayze

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”