New HS and desperate for help !!!!!!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

NewHomeSchooler
User

New HS and desperate for help !!!!!!

Postby NewHomeSchooler » Tue May 30, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi I am going to be homeschooling my 2 kids ages 6 and 7, they will be in a repeat of 1st grade and daughter will be in 3rd. My problem is that my son age 6 is very stubborn and not an easy child. What can I do to make him WANT to learn? What things can I do with them together. As you can see im very new and very lost. Thanks.

alisarussell
User

Another New Homeschooler

Postby alisarussell » Tue May 30, 2006 2:47 pm

I will begin homeschooling this fall as well (two sons, 6 1/2 and 9). A book I have found extremely helpful is Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. It helped me determine my children's learning styles and what kinds of curriculum would work with each style.

Also, these websites have been helpful. www.homeschoolreviews.com and www.winterpromise.com (curriculum that lets you combine children for history and science)

I've been doing lots of research and talking with several experienced homeschoolers. Please feel free to email me at sc_stargate_fan@yahoo.com if you want any further info.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed May 31, 2006 9:21 am

You have to make learing fun. It takes a lot of work but it is possible. A curriculum is hard even when it is made for a certain learning style because they tend to be rigid. You need something with flexibilty, lots of field trips and research on things he enjoys. My oldest is very resistant to learning new things, unless it's a new bike trick. We build stuff together, like rockets and kites, we talk about how they work, and he writes down experiments he wants to do. Math is usually hands on, or I bribe him. He gets 1cent for every math problem he does without my help. We do a lot of life lesson stuff, safety things, home ec, things that keep him busy and are fun ways to learn. We even made up our own game, and because he helped to make it him and his borther love to play it. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Janet Tatman
User

Postby Janet Tatman » Wed May 31, 2006 12:18 pm

Dear New Home Schooler,

I think one of the greatest things you can do is be excited about learning yourself. Your son will catch your enthusiasm as you study together and become excited to learn as well. What activities does he enjoy doing now? Use those learning avenues to begin teaching math, reading, and language concepts. Every younger sibling wants to be like the older child, perhaps you can encourage your daughter to help him understand how much fun learning particular subjects can be. My oldest daughter loved to read, so we would have her do oral reading with the younger children.

Pray and ask God to help you discern what learning style best motivates your son. Boys just have alot more energy than girls and need to move when learning. Don't expect him to be sitting still now at this young age for long periods of time.

God's best to you in your homeschooling. Don't give up. It is really all worth it.
Janet T.
HS MOM FOR 25 YRS
www.janetsjournal.com

love2bastayathomemom
User

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:20 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:33 am

(Just FYI, the Big Book of Home Learning is entirely sold out. The first book of the next version, Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling, is geared more towards getting started than a specific grade range per se)

hipmum
User

Learning doesn't have to take place at a desk.

Postby hipmum » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:53 am

Learning happens in many different forms and guises. Just as you sometimes have to disguise the vegetables in order for your child to eat them, you may sometimes have to disguise learning in the form of fun activities.

Work with your child's temprement and interests. If for example your child is a very wiggly type who can't sit still then minimize the seatwork and introduce lots of hands-on activities.

As far as possible follow the child's interests as far as possible. So, for instance, if your child is interested in whales then read up about them, design a unit study around them and so on.

For subjects like math, spelling and reading there are many wonderful software programs on the market that will help drill the child in the basics in a fun and entertaining way.

Make learning fun and don't forget to set a positive example yourself.
Grab your FREE copy of The Parent's Guide To Homeschooling at http://www.good-guides.org/homeschool/optin.html

MaryC
User

Postby MaryC » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 pm

Hi,
We just started homeschooling this yr. I am experimenting with different ways of keeping my 71/2 yo interested. We have been doing lot's of outside things. Going to the beach and checking out crabs, went to the library and took a book out about crabs and as we were reading, there was a part that spoke of the ocean taking up 3/4 of the planet. So, my daughter asked, what does that look like? She got a measuring cup and put 3/4 of sand in it, then I asked her so how much is made up of land? She answered 1/4. That is when I was assured that putting away the ridged schedule and curriculumn was the right thing to do. She is now excieted about learning, by discovery. Hope that helps. Give it some time, watch your son, see what he is interested in and provide the enviornment.
mc

mommainky
User

Helpful website

Postby mommainky » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:39 am

I found this site quite by accident but, it offers just about any lesson plan or links to info that you could possibly need. Also answer keys. Found it to be a great help simply because I have just started homeschooling a middle school student. www.education-world.com

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:41 pm

There are many possibilities! There are some great ideas in a book called The 3 R's. You can also try some videos (The Magic School Bus can be great for science) and activities in your area.

Have you joined a homeschool group in your area? Many times, there will be a guest speaker in these meetings to speak on any number of subjects, from other countries/cultures to science/industry. There also may be guided tours and other field trips available in your area that are little known outside the hs groups.

Also, ask your librarian (children's librarian if available) about what's available in your area. There may be kits and/or computer programs available on different subjects.

Put up lots of posters in your home (educational ones, of course). Sometimes you can get some free from your state government on different topics of interest to your state (this can be great for local nature study). Just having the posters available to the eye will have your children asking questions about them.

Do science experiments (Usborne has some good books on this) in your home to keep things interesting. Have your children use a disposable camera to take pictures, get them developed and have the children label each picture (for handwriting, composition and memory).

Have them build castles, forts, ships, etc. with legos, playdough, clay, etc. to learn about your history lessons. Look for "living books" (Charlotte Mason Method term) that give the lessons in story form, rather than textbook form.

I have a 6yo and 3.5yo, so I have some idea where you're coming from. I hope I helped a bit!
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

Return to “Getting Started”