Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

math u see question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamaholly
User

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: math u see question Reply with quote

I'm going to get MUS for my third grader. He doesn't have his facts cold so I was going to start with alpha. Is that what you would recommend? I'm guessing it'll go faster than normal as we catch up to his actual skill level. How much time would you recommend devoting to it during catching up and then at his level of understanding? Do you do yours based on how much you complete in a setting or how much time? I'm thinking four days a week...
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have him take the placement test? I know a lot of older kids do start back in Alpha and just zip through it. Or you could use something else like games to help with mastery and start in Beta or gamma.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use this method for determining the pace - 1 page done correctly, 1 review page, he can explain the method sufficiently and teach me, test.

We've done 3 lessons in one week before, and we've skipped some completely because I knew he had mastery so we just talked about it and tested throught it.

I don't really set a schedule for him, he does that with my guidance. The first day of the lesson is always the longest, getting shorter and shorter as he feels better about the work, so we go anywhere from an hour on math down to 10 minutes.
2bighogs
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I've been using MUS for my daughter for a year now. We love it! She was in public school from K-4th grade. She has struggled in math for most of those years. She excelled in multiplication in 3rd grade and she understood a lot of the algebraic concepts in 4th grade, but she could barely subtract. When I pulled her out of public school after 4th grade, we started all the way back at Beta. My recommendation as far as pace to you is, follow his lead. It took my daughter just a few months to finish Beta, then she zipped through Gamma (remember, she was great at multiplication already! I probably could have skipped this book but I'm glad I didn't) and took about 6 months to finish Delta, then we slowed way down and took our time with Epsilon since most of it was new material to her. We have just finished our 5th grade year and she has about a month left in Epsilon (we'll pick back up in August), then she will be "caught up" to her public schooled counterparts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: