IEP

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

stac31
User

IEP

Postby stac31 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:05 pm

My 7-year-old just had an IEP put in place. The school feels as though he needs one and seems to be seeing things I don't see at home. I just happened to notice on the IEP form where it says "recommendation for psycho-ed in grade 3". Does anyone know what exactly psycho-ed is? I am struggling greatly with myself on the decision to homeschool. I have 4 kids, very close in age, 3 boys and 1 girl. All the boys are slipping behind in reading. I was told by the principal that there was no way that they were going to fail them, they would instead put this IEP in place, so basically they wouldn't have to meet the usual expectations of that grade level, go onto the next grade level, and most likely slip further behind. I am finding the whole public school thing to be unbelievably frustrating. My daughter on the hand (4 years old), is doing great and above average. I wish God or something would just give me a sign as to what to do! LOL :D I'm also worried about my lack of patience. The boys have more energy that sometimes I can handle and school right now is sort of a nice break. I know that sounds terrible :oops:

Thanks for any advice in advance.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 pm

schoolingK2
User

Postby schoolingK2 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am

I think psycho-ed. refers to behavioral issues. You may be able to ask your pediatrician they may know. What I've experienced is that there are many reasons why children don't do well in classes.

Has the school done a full evaluation this is when he has had his IQ evaluated, speech and language, academics, etc.? Ask for a copy of the reports if you do not have them.

Go under the link "home schooling my IEP son" and read “my storyâ€

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”