Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need ideas for preschooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treshay
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Need ideas for preschooler Reply with quote

I think I'm officially deciding to stop schooling my 4 year old until she shows some interest in learning again. I'm putting the books up and no longer thinking of the day as getting math, language arts, science and all of the other stuff in. She was doing very well and can write her name, words from a word wall we made her, she can even do math problems like all the way to the number 10 but she HATES school. If she wants to play something and I tell her it's "school" she no longer wants to play it. For instance, she was doing a puzzle on her own. One day I said , why don't you work on your puzzle and that can be your math for the day - I guess that was stupid because since then she's been asking me if she could PLEASE be done with her math. I should have just let her do it and told myself that it was math. I'm going about this all wrong and I feel like such a failure!

So...here's my latest idea. I want to set up a bunch of different activity areas in the basement (where we do our homeschooling). They have a table for book-work, coloring, anything they want a table for, then they have an entire playroom area with their toys and a bunch of other different areas. So I want to have one area set up with a bunch of different games and playtime activities that she can choose from that would all help develop math skills - but of course this time I won't tell her that. And another spot for the different language arts skills - for that I was thinking something like an arts and crafts center where she can cut words out of old magazines and make an alphabet scrap book or copy words from her word wall into her word detective notepad.

I just want to be able to go downstairs for schooling my other daughter and tell the 4 yr old to pick an area to play at and just relax with it and know that she's learning. If she had a choice she would just watch tv all day - which is a big NO in our house - they're limited to a 1/2 hour each day and sometimes don't get that - but she's always trying. The other thing she could do all day is play with the cat - but the cat doesn't like that idea.

Anyways - I needed to get all of these thoughts out of my head and I am also looking for any tried and true ideas for the play areas for her. I just don't want to make her hate school - it should be the opposite!

Thanks
treshay
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was up until 2:00am last night rearranging the basement and pulling out any and everything I could find that would be usable for educational fun. It is awesome downstairs now. There is a corner full of manipulatives, legos, card games, number charts, shapes, marble madness and lots of other logic provoking materials. Then a corner with the bookshelf and two comfy rocking chairs with a lamp for independent reading - we usually sit on the couch upstairs for reading with me. I also have a place with all of her plastic animals and the farm, zoo and pet accessories and a writing table all decked out with her word wall, the ABC chart, a bunch of writing materials and an alphabet scrapbook for her to cut words out and paste on the page with the letter the word starts with.

So far this morning my oldest daughter and I have had the time we needed to get our studies done while Breanna sat playing a little in every new spot. She even decided to sit and read for a little while!! She doesn't want to write words right now - too much like school I guess. But I just told her she doesn't have to do anything, that it's her choice. We also played a few games together before lunch.

Needless to say, I'm feeling much better - tired - yes, but at least I'm not pulling my hair out anymore.
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, Teresa! Very Happy
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful, you'll probably have to change things around every month or so to keep her interest, but what a great job!!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Brenners
User

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea. I have found with my daughter, like with yours, that the desire to formally learn comes in spurts and stages. She'll beg and beg to "do school" for several weeks/months, then suddenly have a strong adversion to it. She'd rather skip the "school" stuff and just do crafts. Which is fine with me. There is a lot of learning that goes on in their brains even when they're not focusing on the alphabet and numbers.

I so wish I had a room or basement to set off stations for her. She would have a blast. But, we don't have any extra space that is non-excessible to our 15 month old and the new baby this fall.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treshay, that sounds great! In fact, we just visited the Cleveland Museum of Natural History yesterday and I had the baby in the Discovery Zone (play room) with me and I got some great ideas for things I want to do with my kids learning/play area that sounds just like the area you have created. I cant wait to get started on it. Sadly it will have to wait a few days, we have a busy weekend with kid activities this week. Tomorrow we are off for a day at the NASA Glenn Research Center!

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
ergonzalez
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be odd, but one thing that got our youngest son motivated to "do school" was a little desk that we got in Amazon. I'm sure there were other factors that contributed, but somehow, in his eyes, this little desk sort of gave him "his own space" and that helped a lot.... Weird.

Here is the darn desk that did the trick
amymom
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes kids "hate school" because they're stressed, and they feel too much pressure to LEARN. So learning becomes something stressful and has a negative connotation. Let her explore learning. I like your idea of setting up centers, etc. You can create games to play with her. Check out my blog preschoolmommy.blogspot.com. I have games on there, and simple, fun lesson plans. You need to make learning fun, and create a new mindset.
littlemillennium
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea is pretty good and its good to know that it is working fine. But why don't you try to put her in Preschool. Don't tell her that it is preschool. Before sending her to preschool or kindergarten explain her what is exactly preschool is, what activities happen there. Take her to some kindergarten for 2-3 days and be with her full time. Once she get interest in it she will definitely like to go to school. Hope I'm giving you right suggestion.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you actually suggesting that she enroll her dc in a preschool? As in a daycare outside of her home?

This is a homeschooling forum. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your answer, because surely you wouldn't recommend preschool on a homeschooling forum...
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
TheresaHPIR
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the kid should be about nine years old now (OP is from 2007) so I guess there's little chance of that happening, lol.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru dat! Laughing
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Young children actually learn through play. And hands on activities are always perfect for preschool children. Good for you. Remember that you don't have to spend much time homeschooling at this early age. A few 15-20 minute sessions are enough. Have a great year.

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: