Homeschooling Works Despite Anti-Homeschooling Rhetoric

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jessicaparnell
User

Homeschooling Works Despite Anti-Homeschooling Rhetoric

Postby jessicaparnell » Tue May 13, 2008 12:03 pm

If you are a current homeschooler or homeschool graduate who read Jack Lessenberry’s essay http://jackshow.blogs.com/jack/2008/04/essay-homeschoo.html on homeschooling I am sure you felt the hair stand up on the back of your neck. This uninformed journalist fills his essay with unresearched claims and foolish ideas that substantiate his lack of knowledge when it comes to homeschooling.

Despite his assertion that “home schooled children . . . are typically badly deficient in science education,â€
Jessica L. Parnell: http://jessica-parnell.com
Bridgeway Homeschool Academy: http://homeschoolacademy.com

Ophelia
User

Re: Homeschooling Works Despite Anti-Homeschooling Rhetoric

Postby Ophelia » Tue May 13, 2008 3:24 pm

jessicaparnell wrote:He continues with the usual blather . . . homeschoolers aren’t adequately socialized, parents should be qualified to teach, homeschoolers aren’t up to date with computer technology . . .. All of these comments clearly demonstrate his lack of experience with homeschoolers.

WHAT? We are so over socialized this month I can't wait for a day with no place to go! Besides that, I remember being constantly informed by my teachers in school "We are not here to socialize." Those kids in public school aren't socializing, they are simply children of the same age crammed into a class room and herded around like sheep. So unless the new definition of socializing is being bullied and getting your lunch money stolen, publicly schooled children aren't getting socialization either.

Parents should be qualified to teach? In Ohio, anyone with a Bachelor's Degree can take an exam to be a Certified teacher. Not a Bachelor's in Education, ANY Bachelor's degree. What teaching training did they receive?

As for not being update to with computer technology...OMG, what a joke! Here we are, all of us, on the computer. Installing, downloading, photo editing, running websites and blogs. My husband networked all the computers in the house together. Yeah, we aren't up to date on computer technology.

I try to refrain from name calling, but this guy sounds like a real idiot.

Sorry, it's been a long day and that just was more than I could stand.
Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

Emerging Dad
User

Re: Homeschooling Works Despite Anti-Homeschooling Rhetoric

Postby Emerging Dad » Thu May 15, 2008 8:45 pm

As for not being update to with computer technology...OMG, what a joke! Here we are, all of us, on the computer. Installing, downloading, photo editing, running websites and blogs. My husband networked all the computers in the house together. Yeah, we aren't up to date on computer technology.

Though this is purely anectdotal, it has been my experience that schools aren't very up-to-date with computer technology. The school system around here is operating at least one OS version back, and in some cases, two.

As for the science education bit, look at the public school science scores on standardized tests. If that is considered proficient, then woe to us who are at the mercy of the next generation of scientists.
I'm a nice enough guy, and if I say something hurtful I probably didn't mean it that way.

Semper Reformanda!

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”