Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling Works Despite Anti-Homeschooling Rhetoric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessicaparnell
User

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling Works Despite Anti-Homeschooling Rhetoric Reply with quote

If you are a current homeschooler or homeschool graduate who read Jack Lessenberry’s essay http://jackshow.blogs.com/jack/2008/04/essay-homeschoo.html on homeschooling I am sure you felt the hair stand up on the back of your neck. This uninformed journalist fills his essay with unresearched claims and foolish ideas that substantiate his lack of knowledge when it comes to homeschooling.

Despite his assertion that “home schooled children . . . are typically badly deficient in science education,” the facts tell another story. In fact, Mr. Lessenberry, statistics indicate the exact opposite:

In 1990, the National Home Education Research Institute issued a report entitled “A Nationwide Study of Home Education: Family Characteristics, Legal Matters, and Student Achievement.” This was a study of over 2,163 homeschooling families.

The study found that the average scores of the homeschool students were at or above the 80th percentile in all categories. The homeschoolers’ national percentile mean was 84th for reading, 80th for language, 81st for math, 84th for science and 83rd for social studies.

He continues with the usual blather . . . homeschoolers aren’t adequately socialized, parents should be qualified to teach, homeschoolers aren’t up to date with computer technology . . .. All of these comments clearly demonstrate his lack of experience with homeschoolers.

Let me provide my responses based on fact, not opinion. Just taking from the last three graduating classes, each year Bridgeway Academy homeschool students have received full scholarships to college, have qualified as national merit scholars, have been highly involved in volunteer efforts, have served local politicians, have established their own businesses while still in high school (including computer services such as programming and web design), have been highly recognized athletes, and have served on the mission field.

These students come from homes of all different backgrounds, but they have two things in common: a desire for excellence and a drive that takes them there.

Are all of our students this exceptional? No. We also work with struggling students who have not received the help they need from their local public school. We have worked with adults who hit a brick wall personally and financially because they lack a high school diploma and are now motivated to do the work to obtain one. (By the way, every one of the American born adults dropped out of public school–not home school). And we have worked with students who seek an alternative to failing educational system in their local public school. But all of our homeschool students, no matter where they are when they enroll, exceed the standards of their local public school system by the time they graduate from our academy.

Many of our students come from families who seek a strong Biblical foundation for their children. A growing number do not want the Biblical element. Others are looking for a combination of both. Either way, the homeschooling community is much larger than Jack seems to realize.

So what is my point? Despite the uninformed anti-homeschooling blather of people like Jack Lessenberry (who by the way is married to a public school teacher), homeschoolers are sought out by colleges and universities, are impacting their communities and are outdoing their public school counterparts.

Look out public school graduates! The leaders of tomorrow are educated in the homes of today!
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeschooling Works Despite Anti-Homeschooling Rhetoric Reply with quote

jessicaparnell wrote:

He continues with the usual blather . . . homeschoolers aren’t adequately socialized, parents should be qualified to teach, homeschoolers aren’t up to date with computer technology . . .. All of these comments clearly demonstrate his lack of experience with homeschoolers.

WHAT? We are so over socialized this month I can't wait for a day with no place to go! Besides that, I remember being constantly informed by my teachers in school "We are not here to socialize." Those kids in public school aren't socializing, they are simply children of the same age crammed into a class room and herded around like sheep. So unless the new definition of socializing is being bullied and getting your lunch money stolen, publicly schooled children aren't getting socialization either.

Parents should be qualified to teach? In Ohio, anyone with a Bachelor's Degree can take an exam to be a Certified teacher. Not a Bachelor's in Education, ANY Bachelor's degree. What teaching training did they receive?

As for not being update to with computer technology...OMG, what a joke! Here we are, all of us, on the computer. Installing, downloading, photo editing, running websites and blogs. My husband networked all the computers in the house together. Yeah, we aren't up to date on computer technology.

I try to refrain from name calling, but this guy sounds like a real idiot.

Sorry, it's been a long day and that just was more than I could stand.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
Emerging Dad
User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeschooling Works Despite Anti-Homeschooling Rhetoric Reply with quote

Quote:
As for not being update to with computer technology...OMG, what a joke! Here we are, all of us, on the computer. Installing, downloading, photo editing, running websites and blogs. My husband networked all the computers in the house together. Yeah, we aren't up to date on computer technology.

Though this is purely anectdotal, it has been my experience that schools aren't very up-to-date with computer technology. The school system around here is operating at least one OS version back, and in some cases, two.

As for the science education bit, look at the public school science scores on standardized tests. If that is considered proficient, then woe to us who are at the mercy of the next generation of scientists.

Semper Reformanda!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: